Monitor going on and off randomly

Hello, using Win 7 with 2 monitors on laptop with USB 2.0 10 port hub. I have a plugable display adapter plugged into the 10 port hub. The monitor screen with the adapter turns off and on at random times when plugged into the 10 port hub. When I plug the display adapter directly into one of my laptop’s USB ports I have no issues. I would like to just use the 10 port hub. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

I have a similar issue – using Win7 x64 on an HP 6200 SFF (desktop), plugged directly into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back of the PC. The second monitor will randomly appear blank, I hear the Windows “trumpet”, and any Windows I had on the 2nd screen get pushed back to the first monitor. Again, this happens at random times - doing something, sitting idle, moving Windows; it all doesn’t seem to correlate.

Hi Scott and Chad,

Let’s see what we can figure out about these two issues.

Scott – Can you verify that the AC adapter to your 10 port hub is connected and functioning (is it a Plugable 10 port hub)? My first suspicion is power to the display adapter since it works when connected directly to the computer. If your hub is one of ours, you can test the power supply by disconnecting it from the computer with the AC adapter still connected to the wall. The blue light should stay on. If the power is good, try different ports on the hub and perhaps a different cable to the hub from the computer if you have one. Also, try some other devices in the hub and see if they stay on consistently. Let me know what you find, and we’ll figure out next steps.

Chad – Can you say more about the equipment you have? What type of display adapter do you have? Do you have the same response in different USB ports? Do you have another cable you could try? Can you say if the DisplayLink Icon disappears when the display disconnects? Thanks for getting this additional information over to me, we’ll be able to make a better recommendation once we know a little more.

Thanks for your posts~
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies.

Hi Jerome,
I have the USB 2.0 Display Adapter. I do not have another cable to try, so I have not changed the stock cable that came in the box. I don’t believe the DisplayLink Icon disappears when the display disconnects. Then again, both screens go completely black for a second, so it’s really hard to tell. However, I have recently moved it to a different USB port on the back of the PC and (knock on wood) I haven’t seen the issue re-occur. I will post again if it does come back.

Thanks again,
Chad

Hi Jerome,
The 10 port hub is always on and all ports seem to be working ok. After having it plugged into the back of my laptop for about 2 weeks it suddenly has died. No LED no screen. I e-mailed support.
Thank you,
Scott

Thanks Scott,

We’ll get you up and running!

Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Hello Jerome - well, it has gone black several times again on different USB ports on the back of the PC. The DisplayLink icon doesn’t seem to disappear from the System Tray. One thing I did notice – I have rotating wallpaper. It seems as if when the screens go black and move all my open windows back to the main screen, it’s in the middle of a background change – not every time, but I have noticed when it happens the wallpaper has changed.
Hope this helps. Please advise.
Thanks,
Chad

Hi Chad,

It sounds like the adapter is disconnecting from the bus and Windows is resetting the display layout when it recognizes the device is gone. Have you found a cable to try yet? Also, run the DisplayLink support tool and send the .zip that it creates over to us at support@plugable.com . We’ll have look and figure out next steps.

Here’s how:

http://plugable.com/support/tools/dis…

Thanks,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies

Having this same issue with windows 10 with the UGA-16 device. Computer is a Dell optiplex with embedded Intel display card. I have the device connected directly to the computer. Only fix I found to help the issue is to turn off some of the animate features of windows 10