Monitor flickers when using usb-c to dvi adapter

I’m running catalina 10.15.5 on a new macbook pro. I’m using the plugable usb-c to dvi adapter and my external Dell 24" monitor flickers 1-3 times per minute. What can I do about it? Is it a driver issue?

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

We see that you have reached out to us directly so we are continuing communication over email.

Our USB-C to DVI adapter does not rely on a driver so we could be dealing with a separate issue. A good first step to try is to swap out the DVI cable with a known-good spare to rule it out as a culprit. Faulty or degraded video cables can cause these sort of problems.

Thank you!

Mitchell

I’m having the same problem between a 2018 13" MacBook Pro and a 2008 23" Cinema HD display. The display flickers about every second.
It works fine with an old Mac Pro running an ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU

Hi Queasy,

Thanks for contacting us, I am sorry Apple’s 2008 Cinema Display does not support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection ) which is required to be supported for displays connected to modern Apple computers with DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort connections.

We try to call this out this incompatibility on our product page, in the FAQ section ( https://plugable.com/products/usbc-dvi/ ):

Q: Will the adapter work with Apple Cinema Displays?
A: No, Apple Cinema Displays will not work with our adapter (even single-link DVI Apple Cinema Displays).

I am sorry this adapter is not compatible with the 2018 MacBook and the Apple Cinema Display, and I don’t want you to be stuck with an adapter that is incompatible with your computer and display. I can assist in returning the adapter for a full refund, please send me a direct email at ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #308390 - Attention Pat’ and include your Amazon Order ID ( available from Amazon.com/orders ) for the original purchase of the adapter, or a PDF or screenshot of the invoice or receipt of purchase for the adapter and I will help to provide return instructions.

Thank you, and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.