MINI DISPLAYPORT/THUNDERBOLT TO HDMI 2.0 + Samsung UN50KU6300 = no sound

Hello,

I have a Macbook Pro Late 2013 connected on TV via plugable MINI DISPLAYPORT/THUNDERBOLT TO HDMI 2.0 with a HDMI 2.0 cable. When connecting, I get only 4k resolution at 25/30 Hz with the sound of the macbook going to the TV. After much reading, I learned that the adapter supports 4k@60Hz through the SwitchResX app. It really works but the problem is that now I do not have sound going from the Macbook to the TV. Could someone tell me how to make the sound work again? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi Xavierbarros, thanks for posting! Glad to hear that you found using SwitchResX helps enable 4K@60Hz but sorry to hear that audio is not working at this resolution!

Would you be able to let us know the version of Mac OS X that you are running?

Also, would you be able to let us know the brand and model of TV that you are using?

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi David!

I’m runing Mac OS X Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32) on a Samsung UN50KU6300 TV. The resolution is okay as I said I’m at 4k@60Hz. I hope there is some solution to the sound problem.

Thanks for the reply. From here, we’ll want to see if a firmware update is available for the specific unit that you have to determine if this helps resolve the sound issue at 4K@60Hz. However, the update must be applied on a Windows based operating system as the update tool only can run on this OS. I would be happy to send you instructions to apply the firmware update is a Windows system with an MDP-HDMI port is available to you. Otherwise, we would be able to arrange for a pre-tested replacement adapter to be sent with the latest firmware loaded.

Please let us know if a Windows system is available to you for the firmware update or if you’d prefer a pre-tested replacement with the latest firmware loaded and we can go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support