maximum number of monitors driven off 1 PC using UGA-165s?

I am looking at creating a monitor system for a customer which includes 7 monitors, the host PC will have a video card which I assume includes at least 1 video output. Can I add 6 UGA-165 devices to that PC for a total of 7 monitors, or is the limit 6 monitors regardless of connection type?

Also can you clarify what is causing the 6 additional monitor limit? is this a windows restriction, or a USB restriction, or a limitation of the hardware?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for posting and asking about the monitor limit!

The limit on Windows is 6 USB-attached monitors *in addition* to whatever your built-in graphics provides. So you can get to 7 or 8 monitors.

And the limit is actually not the hardware level, and not imposed by Windows - the limit is set by the DisplayLink driver.

It’s set at 6 not because of any hard limit of the technology - it’s really only to set realistic expectations in terms of how many monitors will perform well for normal app & web use.

But in fact, some versions of the DisplayLink driver (e.g. those that only run on Windows Multipoint Server http://www.displaylink.com/support/do…) have lifted the limit (in WMS 2011’s case, to 14).

Hope that background helps. Thanks again, and thanks for considering our products!

Bernie

By the way - wanted to mention that the Mac limit is 4 USB monitors (there are other limiting factors on Mac), and by contrast, the Linux limit is in theory 32 USB monitors (although we have yet to put together a system with that many to test that boundary). :slight_smile: