Max number of monitors with a laptop?

I have an HP Elitebook 84-G5 with a HP UltraSlim docking station. I currently have 3 – 27” monitors attached. From HP’s specs it appears that’s the max number of monitors the video card in the laptop will support.
I would like to add 2 or 3 more displays so I will have a total of 5 or 6 displays with my laptop.
Do the USB Plugable Docking stations have a video card?
Or does the USB Plugable use the laptop’s video card?

Thanks

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting!

I can see that you have also reached out to us directly via support@plugable.com with the same question. I have merged your two separate requests together to help keep all communication in one place and prevent duplication of effort, and I have just sent my direct reply.

For the benefit of anyone else following this thread, the salient points of my direct response are included below:

"Our USB docking stations are based on DisplayLink technology, which is in essence a ‘virtual’ graphics adapter that relies on the host system’s CPU and internal physical graphics adapter resources to generate the image shown on the attached displays. DisplayLink-based products do not have graphics adapters (video cards) within them.

Based on your description and requirements, I believe our USB 3.0 Dual Display Adapter known as the USB3-3900DHE will meet your needs → https://plugable.com/products/usb3-3900dhe/

The USB3-3900DHE adapter will connect to one of the USB 3.0 ports within your HP docking station (or directly to the laptop) and provide the ability to add up to two 1920x1080 resolution displays to your system. The adapter has one HDMI video output, and one DVI video output. We also include in the box a DVI to VGA adapter if needed.

Should you elect to proceed with a purchase and find that the adapter does not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon. "

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

Excellent reply. Thank you.

I could not be more pleased. Just received the UD-3900 USB 3.0 I ordered and connected it to my laptop adding two more 27" monitors. I know have a total of 5. (Three running off the laptop, plus two connected to the UD-3900 USB 3.0.

FANTASTIC ! !

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.