Macbook to G9 OLED via (M)HDMI to Plugable UD-4VPD only 60hz?

Hi All,

Macbook Pro - Ventura 13.5 - Samsung G9 Oled

Has anyone been able to get 120HZ+ on a Macbook pro using a MHDMI to HDMI or HDMI to HDMI?

When connecting directly to the laptop from the monitor using a Display Port to USBC cable, I'm able to achieve 120hz with 5120x1440 resolution

With a MHDMI or HDMI cable in to the dock I'm only about to achieve 60hz and the abillity to change my resolution is limited.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected.

I was able to reproduce this behavior with the UD-4VPD docking station with a 4K 120Hz television being limited to 60Hz. This also affects USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapters and appears to be a limitation within macOS when connecting a high-refresh rate HDMI display to the computer via USB Type-C. As you noted, connecting with a USB Type-C to DisplayPort input on the display should not encounter this limitation.

I tested systems from a 2019 MacBook Pro with Intel processor, M1, and M2 MacBook Pro 13-inch and Air systems, 15-inch MacBook Air M2 and 16-inch MacBook Pro M2 with native HDMI output, all showed this behavior when connecting to a USB Type-C to HDMI adapter or docking station. The 16-inch MacBook Pro with M2 was able to support 4K 120Hz with the built-in HDMI output port.

To ensure the test setup had compatible cables and there were no hardware limitations I tested all adapters and the docking station using a Surface Laptop 5 which enabled 4K 120Hz for all adapters and UD-4VPD docking station tested.

I am sorry, this is a limitation in Apple systems independent of the Apple specifications and we will be updating our compatibility statements to reflect this behavior.

I can help to return this docking station for a full refund.

Please send an email to support@plugable.com with the subject line “Ticket #412238 - Attention Pat” and we can start the refund process.

Thank you, and I apologize for this inconvenience.

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hello,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any further questions please feel free to contact support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com