MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip 3-4 monitors possible?

I’m looking at getting a MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip in it. By default, this configuration supports 2 external displays. If I purchase the UD-ULTC4K and install the DisplayLink Manager app, will I be able to plug in additional displays like you can with the M1 MacBook Air? I’m looking at running 3-4 external displays. (And yes, I know that if I got a MacBook Pro with a M1 Max chip, it would natively support 4 external displays, but for various reasons the laptop I’m getting will have an M1 Pro chip.) Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

On paper our triple docking stations like the UD-ULTC4K are compatible with the new M1 Pro and M1 Max chips just like the docks were previously compatible with the original M1 based Macs. Please note we’re still testing these docks with our new Macs but early testing has been positive.

With an M1 Pro you can have a total of four displays by using the UD-ULTC4K with it: three through the dock, one more directly attached to the laptop. Please note that the dock’s HDMI port counts as one of the two total displays the M1 Pro supports natively.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.