MacBook Pro 13" 2018 Dual Dell 2715Q Monitors

I am experiencing a periodic issue with the dock. When my MacBook goes to sleep, it fails to bring up both displays. The monitor supported by the dp connection starts without issue. The 2nd monitor is powered by the USB-C to HDMI pluggable cable. It comes up with a snowy background. Reconnecting the thunderbolt cable to the MB Pro brings both monitors on-line.

I am using all cables with the unit including the short usb-c/thunderbolt cable.

Let me know what steps I should take to troubleshoot the problem.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us! I am sorry this is not working as expected.
Unfortunately we have not heard of similar intermittent single display failure waking from sleep mode.
Based on your description of the behavior, our first step is to get some additional information from your system.

When the next failure occurs, if you would, please keep the dock connected and both monitors attached (even though one is not working) and attach the output of our diagnostic utility PlugDebug ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug ) to an email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #238065 - Attention Pat’ as this will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thanks,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi,

Thank you for emailing the log file! Based on the log files the system is still detecting the display correctly, at 4K scaled to look like 1920x1080 resolution ( 200% scaling ).

To narrow down the cause of this display issue, I would like to separate the docking station and the USB-C adapter cable. Please connect the adapter cable directly to another Thunderbolt 3 port on MacBoook to see if the display fails to wake from sleep mode. If the display still fails to wake from sleep this will point to the USB-C to HDMI cable causing the fault.

Please let me know if the USB-C to HDMI cable experiences similar behavior when connected directly to the host computer.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I have executed a series of test to locate isolate the issues:

1. Migrated the Thunderbolt/USB-C connection to a different port on the macbook. Failure continues.

2. Swapped the USB-C => HDMI between monitors. Failure Continues.

3. Reseated HDMI on monitor. Fixes Connection.

4. Reseated USBC-C => HDMI on docking station. Fixes Connection.

The HDMI cable is a pluggable cable that I bought separate from the dock.

Suggestions? Please reply to cdroberson@gmail.com

Hi,

Thank you for the additional testing!

Based on this testing, resetting the connection between the MacBook and monitor resolves the display issue.

Can I have you connect the USB-C to HDMI cable directly to the MacBook, not connected to the docking station. This will isolate the USB-C cable from the docking station to help narrow down the cause of this behavior. Please let me know if the display connected to the USB-C to HDMI cable continues to experience display issues.

Thank you,

This morning I experienced the same issue when I connected my USB-C Pluggable cable directly into the MacBook Pro. Thoughts on next steps?

Hi,

At this point it looks like the USB-C to HDMI cable may be at fault. I would like to check the warranty status of the cable, and if in warranty send out a replacement. To protect your personal information I would like to move the replacement process to direct email.

Please send your Amazon Order ID ( available from amazon.com/orders ) and the order date to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #238065 - Attention Pat’ and I will follow up via email to verify your warranty status and start the replacement process.

Thank you for your patience while we worked to narrow down this behavior to the USB-C to HDMI cable.

I received the HDMI cable and still have the issue. Would migrating from HDMI/usb-c to a displayport/usb-c make a difference?

Hi,

Thank you for testing with the replacement cable, I am sorry it is still experiencing issues. I can go ahead and get an alternate USB-C to DisplayPort cable tested and sent out.

Please note, we have not seen similar behavior with these cables with other MacBook systems, and by replacing the cable we have verified it is not a faulty cable causing the display to disconnect. If this is a system specific issue replacing the USB-C to HDMI cable with a USB-C to DisplayPort cable may not change this behavior.

I will go ahead and send out a USB-C to DisplayPort cable to see if removing the extra conversion to HDMI resolves this disconnection issue.

Thank you for your patience while we work on this issue.

I finally had a chance to review the USB-C => DP cable and it worked correctly. Thanks for the effort and support troubleshooting this issue.

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know the USB-C to DisplayPort cable worked! I am glad we found an acceptable solution to this issue and everything is working correctly!

I am going to go ahead and close this topic as solved! Please feel free to start a new topic or email our support team directly at support@plugable.com if you have any additional questions.

Thank you,

Pat.