MacBook AIR MACOS 13.1

I have 2 USB-c ports on my Airbook. I have not been able to get display port 1 to work with either an HDMI or a display port cable adapter. The docking station works on either one of my USB-c ports. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Keith

Hi Keith,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

This docking station relies on two graphics technologies to support up to three external displays.

The “Display 2” and “Display 3” outputs are controlled by DisplayLink USB Graphics Technology, this is a combination of software on the computer and hardware on the docking station which extends the capability of the computer to support more displays than the computer was designed to support. This requires installing the DisplayLink drivers for Windows ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ) or the DisplayLink Manager App for macOS and configuring macOS to support the external displays ( for macOS 13: https://kb.plugable.com/1595423, for macOS 11, and 12: https://kb.plugable.com/1185378 ).

The “Display 1” output relies on the computer’s internal graphics controller, it utilizes USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode (“Alt-Mode” for short). This is an optional USB Type-C port feature which is not enabled on all computers. This relies on the computer’s built-in graphics drivers and requires the docking station to be connected directly to a USB Type-C port with Alt-Mode capability using the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station. USB Type-C cables from other products, or purchased separately online may be charging cables that do not support Alt-Mode video data.

I recommend we start by verifying the docking station is connected directly to the computer using the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station, this cable is about 3ft long, black, with black plastic molded ends. Each molded end has two small holes about 3/4 of the way from the USB Type-C connection to the strain relief, pictured below to help identify the cable:

USB Type-C “Charging” cables, adapter cables, or any devices between the docking station and computer will block the USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode video data and prevent the “Display 1” connected display from being detected by the computer.

Please let me know if connecting the docking station directly to the computer with the original data cable enables the “Display 1” output port, or if the docking station is already connected to the computer with the original data cable our next step is to get some additional details from the computer:

1. Keep the docking station connected to the computer with the displays and devices connected to the docking station
  2. Download and run our PlugDebug utility ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug )
    2a) For Windows: Download the PlugDebug Utility, then Right-click on the PlugDebug application and run as administrator
    2b) For macOS: Click on the red button “Generate PlugDebug Report (Deprecated Pending Update)” to expand the section, select the PlugDebug utility from the Downloads pop-up on the Dock, or double-click if saved to the Desktop
    2c) Follow the on screen instructions to launch the application
  3. Click the “Start” button to begin gathering logs from the system
  4. When completed the application will pop-up a message with the name of the zip file containing the logs on the user desktop directory
  5. Please attach this zip file to your reply email

This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technologies
support@plugable.com

My USB-c cable from DOCK to AirBook is different than the one have pictured. I’m not sure where this cable would have come from. This was the first USB-c to USB-c cable that I have had… Could the wrong cable have been sent? Neither hear nor there really- sounds like I just need the correct cable. How do I get the correct cable? Thank you for your help!

Hi,

Thank you for replying back, I will reply back to you via email to start the replacement process to send you a replacement USB Type-C data cable to resolve this issue.

You should receive a direct email in a couple of minutes, please reply back to this thread if you do not receive the direct email.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.