Macbook Air M2 , UD-6950PDZ and 3 monitors

Hi

I am using a Macbook Air 2022 M2, Ventura 13.6 and the UD-65950PDZ and trying to run 3 monitors via the HDMI ports. I can only get 2 monitors to work at the same time. Whichever monitor is connected to display port 1 won’t work but all the monitors work OK when connected to either display ports 2 and 3. DisplayLink 1.10.0 build 117 is also installed and the original USB cord supplied with the dock is the one I am using to connect to the Macbook

Hi Kieran​,

Thank you for contacting us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

This docking station relies on two graphics technologies to support up to three external displays.

The “Display 2” and “Display 3” outputs are controlled by DisplayLink USB Graphics Technology, this is a combination of software on the computer and hardware on the docking station which extends the capability of the computer to support more displays than the computer was designed to support. This requires installing the DisplayLink drivers for Windows ( https://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink ) or the DisplayLink Manager App for macOS and configuring macOS to support the external displays ( for macOS 13: https://kb.plugable.com/1595423, for macOS 11, and 12: https://kb.plugable.com/1185378 ).

The “Display 1” output relies on the computer’s internal graphics controller, it utilizes USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode (“Alt-Mode” for short). This is an optional USB Type-C port feature which is not enabled on all computers. This relies on the computer’s built-in graphics drivers and requires the docking station to be connected directly to a USB Type-C port with Alt-Mode capability using the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station. USB Type-C cables from other products, or purchased separately online may be charging cables that do not support Alt-Mode video data.

I recommend we start by verifying the docking station is connected directly to the computer using the original USB Type-C data cable provided with the docking station, this cable is about 3ft long, black, with black plastic molded ends. Each molded end has two small holes about 3/4 of the way from the USB Type-C connection to the strain relief, pictured below to help identify the cable:

USB Type-C “Charging” cables, adapter cables, or any devices between the docking station and computer will block the USB Type-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode video data and prevent the “Display 1” connected display from being detected by the computer.

Please let me know if this helps to get all three displays working, and if not we can proceed from here.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Pat, yes the original cable is being used and it is the same as the photo

Hi Kieran,

Thank you for confirming the docking station is connected to the computer with the original USB Type-C data cable, our next step is to get some additional information from your system using our log-gathering tool: PlugDebug, when you have a moment:

1. Keep the docking station connected to the computer with the displays and devices connected to the docking station
  2. Download and run our PlugDebug utility ( http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug )
    2a) For Windows: Download the PlugDebug Utility, then Right-click on the PlugDebug application and run as administrator
    2b) For macOS: Click on the red button “Generate PlugDebug Report (Deprecated Pending Update)” to expand the section, select the PlugDebug utility from the Downloads pop-up on the Dock, or double-click if saved to the Desktop
    2c) Follow the on screen instructions to launch the application
  3. Click the “Start” button to begin gathering logs from the system
  4. When completed the application will pop-up a message with the name of the zip file containing the logs on the user desktop directory
  5. Please attach this zip file to your reply email to ‘support@plugable.com’ with the subject line ‘Ticket #419509 - Attention Pat’

This will allow us to examine some log files from your system to help determine the next steps.

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Hi Kieran,

Thank you for sending the log file and I am glad we could get all displays detected and working.

The docking station was being detected as a USB 2.0 device until resetting both computer and docking station with the following procedure for macOS:

1. Disconnect the docking station from the computer and remove the power connection from the back of the docking station, unplug all USB devices from the docking station
  2. Disconnect the docking station’s power supply from the wall and let both the docking station and power supply sit for 30-90 seconds to fully discharge
  3. Restart the computer
    1. In macOS: Apple Menu > Restart
  4. After 30-90 seconds, reconnect the power supply to the wall socket or power strip
  5. Reconnect the power supply to the docking station
    1. Verify the blue power LED is illuminated on the front of the docking station
  6. Reconnect the docking station to the computer
    1. Please be sure to use the original USB-C cable provided with the docking station
    2. Connect the cable directly from the docking station to the computer, adapters, hubs, or cable extensions may reduce the docking station’s capabilities or prevent detection
  7. Check for the external displays to be detected on the system, if they are not detected please let me know
  8. Reconnect USB devices to the docking station one at a time, test each device to make sure it is working before connecting the next device.

Thank you again, and have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

1 Like