Macbook Air 2020 problems - frequent disconnects and USB failures

Hello,

I am using a brand new (April 2020) MacBook Air 2020 model with your TBT3-UDC1 (July, 2020, Amazon).

I am driving a 60Hz 4K monitor (LG 43" television; resolution and refresh rate supported by both the Mac and the dock via Plugable HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, August 2020, Amazon).

Prior to using the LG TV, I had the dock connected to many years old Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors running HD resolutions via DisplayPort.

I am suffering from the following problems (daily, if not hourly, while using this computer with this dock):

• Docking fails to switch to the connected monitors (Dells and, now, LG)
  • Docking fails to connect with attached USB-A devices (Logitech wired mouse) without restart
  • Docked computer loses connection to attached USB-A devices (Logitech wired mouse, 2TB WD portable hard drive, Logitech headphones)
  • Connected monitors fail to wake up when computer is activated while docked

I have had these issues with this dock since I started using it in July. I thought perhaps that it was a Catalina and TB3 issue, but I’m concerned it’s the dock hardware, esp. the USB-A ports.

When the monitor behaves as expected, the output is 60Hz at UltraHD (4K is too small for me) from Catalina. No issues while it’s docked and everything is behaving.

I would like to know what my options are for a warranty replacement OR investigation of the docking station. I’ve already lost 2 Davinci Resolve edits tonight because of USB devices disconnecting (the hard drive for my media).

Thank you.

Regards,
Michael

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We may want to proactively try replacing this dock to see if this is being caused by a specific issue with this dock itself. If the issues persist, then we’ll know there may be some compatibility issue that would need to be investigated further.

I will email you directly to collect some information to proceed.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry

Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.