M1 Macbook Air not detecting Single Display through usb-c

I have a TBT3-UDZ and an M1 Macbook Air. Everything works fine through the dock except for external displays. I’ve tried two different displays and both HDMI and Display Port, but the displays are never detected. The display I am trying to use works over an Onn USB-c to HDMI adapter just fine, but that takes up another port and defeats the purpose of buying the dock. I haven’t been able to find anything useful while browsing through the threads on here or online in general, so any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I am only trying to use one external display.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for reaching out to Plugable Support!

I am sorry to hear that you are running into issues with your TBT3-UDZ, but I would be happy to help diagnose the issue.

First, can you confirm that you are trying to connect to your laptop using the included Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with your dock? We’ve seen issues arise when a third party cable is used.

Next, can you clarify how you are connecting the monitor to the dock? You mention that you have tried connecting to the HDMI and DisplayPort outputs on the dock, but can you clarify whether you are using HDMI to HDMI and DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables, or are you using some sort of adapter or adapter cable to convert the video signal?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, I have had the issue while using the included cable as well as the cable that came with the Macbook. The cables I have tried are HDMI to HDMI and DP to DP.

EDIT: By included cable, I do mean the thunderbolt cable.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the response.

I would recommend only using the included black Thunderbolt 3 cable moving forward here as the Apple USB-C cord is not Thunderbolt 3 certified and will not work with our dock.

Just to make sure all of our bases are covered here, can you confirm that the you are connecting to the port circled below on the dock and not the USB-C port on the front of the dock? Apologies if this seems obvious, but I just wanted to confirm this before moving forward.

If you can confirm this, then I’d like to request some logs from your device using our PlugDebug diagnostics tool. With everything still attached to the dock (even if it appears to not be working) please follow the instructions on our PlugDebug page and send the ZIP file back to us at our support email, support@plugable.comwith the subject line “Ticket #378582” so we can take a look at the logs.

Thank you!

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hello Chris,

Thank you for sending the log files.

After taking a look at them, I was unable to see the dock being detected at all at the time of the log files. Just to 100% clarify, you said that the rest of the functions of the dock were working and the only functionality that was not working was the displays correct?

Additionally, can you confirm that the displays are not detected no matter if you try and connect to the “Display 1” cluster or the “Display 2” cluster?

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I am using the included cable and I am plugged into the back. Also I have sent the logs

Everything else works fine. The displays aren’t detected whether the cable is in cluster 1 or cluster 2. I am going to go ahead and send another log just in case. I have switched out an audio interface for an external drive that I have full access to in Finder.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your response. I received your email and the log files.

The only major difference was that it appeared that the dock was being detected by your MacBook in the set of logs where the display was shown, but the dock was not detected in the other set of logs where the display was not shown.

You mentioned in your email that the display showed up when you opened your MacBook in the morning. I know this may seem obvious, but have you tried performing a cold reset of your MacBook? This involves completely powering off the device and then powering it on again (not using the restart feature). This will reset the NVRAM and the SMC in your MacBook, which can sometimes help with dock detection issues.

Thank you,

Evan
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.