Low Cost Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 Hub

Hello People of Plugable,

My name is Alexander and I have a product suggestion. So, I own a mid-2011 iMac, and have no USB 3.0 ports. This is an issue for me, as I have a USB 3.0 compatible External Drive, and cannot use the speed it is capable of. I do, however, have a Thunderbolt port. So my first thought was this: Is there a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter on the market? It turns out there is. One. Which costs $80, a huge amount for a small adapter.

My idea for you is this: You guys, who know USB Hubs pretty well, could make a low cost adapter for Thunderbolt (1 or 2, they’re both faster than USB) to USB 3.0. Also, because of the speed of Thunderbolt, you could have the adapter have as many as 4 USB 3.0 ports without loss in data transfer rate. I know that I and many other would pay up to $30 for this, as it would be incredibly useful to people without USB 3.0 ports on their computers.

I hope you consider this and can make it a reality.

Sincerely,
-Alexander

Hi Alexander,

I agree there’s a huge need here. We’re USB focused, and that’s led us away from Thunderbolt products – but I agree that better bridge products between the two are needed. Particularly in the area you’re pointing at.

We’re constantly evaluating needs vs. our ability to fill them, and definitely will be looking at this area. Thanks again for taking the time to encourage us!

Bernie Thompson
Founder, Plugable Technologies

Yes! I currently have the pluggable 3.0 docking station but I cannot use it to full capacity because my MBA only has usb 2.0’s. I, like Alexander, have spent hours looking for a TB to USB adapter and would be more than happy to support y’all if you were to release a reasonably priced product.

Love to see a thunderbolt device especially for USB3 and next generation(s)