Losing Displays on Reboot

I tried the steps above through step 6 which worked… until I rebooted. Then I lost both displays again.

Obviously, I don’t want to manually activate both displays every time I close and restart. I’ve been dealing with Plugable support but still no solution that works.

Any suggestions?

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Device not working after windows 10 upgrade!.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for posting. I’ve broken this out into a separate topic. As a starting point, let’s try a clean install using the links below to make sure we have the newest drivers installed, and in a good state. (The driver versions in the other thread that you tried are no longer current.)

  1. Disconnect your USB docking station (including its power adapter) from your system and keep it disconnected until the last step.

  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step

  3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner from:

  4. Reboot the system, even if not prompted

  5. Download and install the latest DisplayLink 8.4M0 driver from: http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/…

  6. Reconnect your docking station (after reconnecting the power) and your displays should become active

Please let me know how things work after the above and we can go from there.


I followed your instruction through step 6. Both screens came up automatically. I also got the same instructions from Pat Pennel (from Plugable) and got the same results. See my comment in the first link.
Upon restart, both screen are disabled. I have to go to setting and extend the displays.
Can we do a phone call/desktop sharing instead of texting/email. I send a message, wait a day and get a response. They something else and send another message, wait another day for a response etc etc. I’m still looking for a solution. It’s taken over a week. Terribly inefficient and slow.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for confirming; apologies for the duplicate response! (Our ticketing system didn’t detect that this was a duplicate and you’re already working with Pat P.) I’ve discussed with Pat and he’s filled me in on the extensive work that you’ve tried thus far. Very unusual.

This is certainly not expected behavior – for context, there hundreds of thousands of these devices in service that don’t behave this way, so unfortunately it seems there’s some sort of system-specific software issue happening here.

We’re happy to help with a return for a full refund if that’s the preferred approach. We can provide instructions in email on that if you’d like.

In the meantime, I"m going to have your system logs reviewed with a second set of eyes to see if there’s anything else we can try (short of an messy solution like a full system reload).