Lockups on UD-ULTCDL second monitor with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

I had been having lots of lockups on my UD-ULTCDL (the newer hardware revision) since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. Basically my entire system would pause for several seconds, with no mouse/keyboard response, especially when I had Chrome open on the second monitor.

I just saw today that DisplayLink has an 8.0 M3 release of their USB Display driver, which is newer than the one on Plugable’s downloads page (8.0 M2). I just downloaded and installed it while the dock was plugged in, then rebooted and now it seems much better. Chrome still stutters on the second monitor in some cases but I’m not getting the lockups as I was before. Fingers crossed.

Not sure whether Plugable recommends/supports installing the drivers directly from DisplayLink but just wanted to get an extra data point out there, since it seems based on other posts in this forum that others may be experiencing the same issue.

Hi Toby,

Thanks for posting and sharing your experience!

To your question about driver versions, once a new release is made by DisplayLink (the maker of one of the chips in your dock and author of the driver) we perform our own internal testing to help identify if there are any issues that may affect customers using our products. As such, from time to time our latest recommended driver (always posted here -> http://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink/) may not be the latest released by DisplayLink (but please note that the driver downloads we host on Plugable.com are identical to those provided by DisplayLink, we do not modify or customize them)

To the behavior of your docking station, you mention that issues started occurring after the Anniversary Update. The Anniversary Update brings substantial changes behind the scenes in terms of Windows support of DisplayLink-based devices (I wrote about this in detail if you are curious -> http://plugable.com/2016/08/01/window…). While I can only guess in this case, it may have been that the DisplayLink driver needed to be reinstalled after the Anniversary Update, and by upgrading to 8.0 M3 you in essence accomplished the same task.

Regardless of the cause, I am glad things are working better now. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and please let us know if anything changes or if you need any help in the future!

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks Bob, yeah I wondered too if something didn’t get quite reinstalled correctly during the Anniversary Update and just installing it again helped fix it. I’m not sure that’s when the problems started but it seems like it was probably around the same timeframe.