Lenovo Yoga 920 & Plugable USB-C Dual 4K DisplayPort Adapter with Gigabit Ethernet for Windows

Last year, purchased two Plugable USB-C to Displayport cables to connect my MB Pro to 2 x 4K @ 60Hz monitors. They work pretty good.

I am now planning to purchase a Lenovo Yoga 920 and need to connect it to 2 x 4K @ 60Hz monitors.

So, I need to know if the “Plugable USB-C Dual 4K DisplayPort Adapter with Gigabit Ethernet for Windows” is compatible with the Yoga 920.

It should be – they’re both TB3. But you never know.

Can anyone confirm if Plugable’s adapter works with the Yoga 920?

Please get back to me at KMAC AT LOXCEL DOT COM

Thanks

Hello Kevin, thank you for posting and I will be happy to help.

We have not tested with the Lenovo Yoga 920, but I would expect our USBC-6950-DP adapters to work to connect to 4K@60Hz monitors via DisplayPort 1.2 cables.

Please be aware that our adapter is only recommended for productivity/office application use as 4K video streaming and high quality graphics performance can be limited using USB graphics.

Additionally, our adapter requires DisplayLink software to be installed in order to work. DisplayLink (the manufacturer of the chipset and author of the drivers) has developed a compatibility check tool here –> http://support.displaylink.com/knowle… to help determine if your Yoga 920 is compatible with the required software.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi,

Please be aware that our adapter is only recommended for productivity/office application use as 4K video streaming and high quality graphics performance can be limited using USB graphics

I don’t understand this limitation (recommended for Excel but not 4K video) or the need for DisplayLink software.

The Yoga 920 provides two Thunderbolt 3 ports via a USB-C connection. My familiarity with Thunderbolt 3, via my Macbook Pro 15" which has four Thunderbolt 3 ports connected to 2 4K screens via your excellent Thunderbolt 3 to Displayport cables, suggests it should not matter what type of content is being displayed.

Also, why does software (DisplayLink) need to be installed on the computer? This is the first time I’ve heard of needing software to be installed to connect the computer to a hub.

Again, the Yoga 920 has two true 40 gigabit Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are not limited to USB 3.0 or 3.1 standards

Please clarify

Hello Kevin, thanks for the reply. The adapters that you are inquiring about are equipped with a DisplayLink chip in order to create virtual displays off of the USB-C port. These adapters are not Thunderbolt 3 adapters, nor are they based on USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode, which provide a direct connection to your internal GPU. Since our USBC-6950-DP adapters are equipped with the DisplayLink chipset, it requires DisplayLink software to be installed in order to work. DisplayLink (the manufacturer of the chipset within our adapters and the author of the drivers) has more information here –> http://www.displaylink.com/small-office if interested.

USB graphics adapters cannot deliver the same performance as directly connecting to the system’s graphics processor, like a Thunderbolt 3 adapter would

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

David,

Aha! Your comments makes sense. When I read that the USBC-6950-DP is compatible with the “Lenovo Yoga 900-13ISK” which does *not* support Thunderbolt 3, I should have understood then that your product is a USB-C and not Thunderbolt 3 compatible product. The fact that Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connection and offers USB 3.1 10Gbps as one of its many features, only makes things a bit ambiguous as to what your product supports:
#1. Thunderbolt 3’s 40Gbps data stream, or
#2. USB 3.1 10Gbps data stream.

It appears the answer is #2.

Your product page should reiterate what you said above: These adapters are not Thunderbolt 3 adapters.

So, it leaves a question unanswered (I’ve already bought two of your products and am looking to buy another): do you offer a product that takes a Thunderbolt 3 40Gps connection on one end (PCI-E x4) and outputs two Displayport 1.2 4K connections on the other ends? If so, let me know – my credit card is ready!

Hello,

I am also intersted in this topic as i have just bought the yoga 920 from Lenovo. It comes with 2 TB3 ports (each is PCIe x4) and i would like to set up a dual external display. What is the best solution from plugable products? Could the tbt3-dp2x" or “tbt3-hdmi2x-83” work well?
Best regards.

Florent,

I confirmed the Yoga 920 is compatible with the “Plugable USB-C to Displayport cable” of which I have two. With them, the Yoga 920 powered two 4K @ 60 Hz monitors. With Windows 10, I could orient one external monitor vertically and the second horizontal to match their physical layout. Very powerful.

Problem: with no free USB-C ports, the Yoga had to run off battery power. For this dual cable solution to work, we need a TB3 passthrough device that would provide three USB-C connectors: one to plug into the Yoga, the second to plug into a USB-C to DP cable and a third to plug into the power adapter. Does such a product exist?

Alternatively, your suggestion of “tbt3-dp2x” might work too.

Thanks for your answer. Indeed, it is a real constraint to have to block the two thunderbolt (USB-C) only for display. I will soon give a try to the “Thunderbolt 3 Dual-Display Adapter” and I will let you know it it works.

Hello Kevin, thanks for the reply and apologies for my delayed response. We haven’t tested with the Yoga 920 nor do we have reports from customer who have tried. I am unable to find conclusive results when using a dual output Thunderbolt 3 adapter online, so I can’t guarantee our TBT3-DP2X adapters to work. Based off of our previous experience with Lenovo systems, we’ve only had positive reports using the Thinkpad P50 and P70, but negative reports using a Yoga 720 (limited to one display only). I am sorry that I do not have a clearer answer for you.

Hello Florent, thanks for posting! I look forward to hearing your results with the Yoga 920 as this would be the first reports we have had with this system and our Dual Display Thunderbolt 3 adapter. As mentioned above, we only have successful feedback from customers using the Lenovo Thinkpad P50 and P70’s, but unsuccessful feedback from customers using the Lenovo Yoga 720.

Hello David, I ordered the TB3 Dual HDMI adapter last week on Amazon and I am very disappointed as Amazon sent me the wrong item (USB 3.0 4-Port hub instead of the graphic adapter). What is strange is that the box of the wrong item was re-labeled with the bar code label of the good item. As a result I had to order the item again and I hope I will tell you the result by the end of this week if I can finally get the right item…
By the way, do you know where this bad item problem can come from?
Thanks. Regards.

Hello,

I am glad to inform you that I have received and tested my TB3 Dual HDMI adapter and the result is near perfect out-of-the-box. I am able to extend or duplicate my Yoga 920 screen to 2 external monitors. Note that for the moment I only have 2 FullHD Iiyama but I will test soon on 2 UHD monitors.
Th only minor complaint is that, in case of hotplug, just one monitor is displaying and I have to unplug/replug the second one in order to work correctly. But I think that it would not be the case.with the Dual DisplayPort adapter,
I will try further investigations on this problem and keep in touch

N.B : my Lenovo is a brand new Yoga 920, I just installed all the windows updates before trying the adpater.

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Sorry to hear of this behavior when hot plugging the adapter. A couple of variables we can check are the drivers for the Thunderbolt 3 controller and the Intel graphics processor. Lenovo has drivers here –> https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/pr… for the Thunderbolt 3 driver and here –> https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/pr… for the internal Intel graphics processor.

These pieces may not be updated via Windows Update, but they also have a time stamp of September 10th, 2017, so these versions may already be installed.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I too got the brand new yoga920 and the triple display from plugable for my 3 new HP 27es monitors.

Only the VGA and HDMI2k ports work, the HDMI 4k port never displays (or detects) - even switching the cables around confirms the monitor and cables are good, but that port never seems to be detected.

I have updated all tb and ethernet drivers from lenovo and windows update.

Hi Jason,

Please contact us at support@plugable.com for assistance!

Thanks!