Lenovo Yoga 730-15IKB to a 5k ultrawide monitor (5120x1440)

Hello,

I have a Lenovo laptop Yoga 730-15IKB with internal GTX1050 gpu with usb-c thunderbolt 3 connection.

I would want to connect an ultrawide monitor from Dell, LG or Samsung with a resolution of 5120x1440 pixels. I now the gtx1050 gpu is capable but lenovo states that their hdmi output is only 4k at 30hz and the usb-c output is also 4k at 30hz (i guess if you use a usb-c cable directly to a monitor)
It seems the usb-c port is also a thunderbolt 3 connection. Can i use the TBT3-DP2X-83 to connect to the display port of the ultrawide 5k monitor? I know your hub has 2 display ports and probably need only one. The ultrawide 5k monitors all have 1 displayport 1.4 and 2 hdmi 2.0 connection.
And does the amount of pcie lanes (2 or 4) on thunderbolt 3 only limits you on how many external displays you can hook up or does it also limits the frequency rate (30 or 60hz) at that high 5k (5110x1440) resolution?

Hi Rodger,

Thank you for posting!

Based on the information provided, what you describe unfortunately will not work.

To expand further, the only case where our Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort Display Adapter (TBT3-DP2X-83) can be used to drive a single 5K display is when the display has two separate DisplayPort 1.2 video inputs and two DisplayPort video cables from the single display are connected to both of the adapter’s DisplayPort 1.2 video outputs. Such a configuration within displays that have this option (not all of them do) allows for the aggregation of the video bandwidth of both DisplayPort 1.2 video connections in order to support a 5K display.

In regard to the displays you intend to purchase, you mention that, “The ultrawide 5k monitors all have 1 displayport 1.4 and 2 hdmi 2.0 connection.”. Since the displays you are considering have only a single DisplayPort 1.4 video input, the configuration described above will not work.

We are not aware of any product (Plugable brand or otherwise) that would allow you to use such a 5K display with your specific model Lenovo laptop.

As a result, I am afraid I would not recommend that you purchase our TBT3-DP2X-83 adapter. Apologies if that sounds overly negative, however we would rather lose a sale than cause frustration when things do not work as expected (especially considering the cost of the 5K display).

Apologies that we could not be of more help in this specific case, and thank you for understanding!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Hi Bob,

I am glad u replied, it prevented me from buying the wrong monitor :smile::+1:t2:

I guess going from thunderbolt 3 to 2 hdmi 2.0 and connect with 2 hdmi 2.0 doesnt work the same as connecting 2 displayports then?

Also my thunderbolt 3 connection only supports only 2 pcie lanes then going double hdmi of double displayport isn’t going to work anyway, correct?

Kind regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Thank you for getting back to us, and you are of course most welcome for the help.

Early 5K displays combined the use of two DP 1.2 inputs in order to reach 5K resolution within a single display, however displays of that type tend to be rare.

Newer 5K displays have DisplayPort 1.4 inputs which offer sufficient bandwidth to allow a display to be driven at 5K resolution, We are not aware of any modern 5K display that has two HDMI 2.0 video inputs for the purpose of combining the two separate video inputs together for a single 5K image within the display.

Ultimately, the ability of a host system to drive an external display at a certain resolution is determined by the capabilities of the host system’s internal graphics processing unit (GPU) and the video output standards (such as DP 1.2 or DP 1.4) that the GPU supports.

Lenovo does not call out which specific DP version your system supports within the technical specifications → https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Yoga/Yoga_730_15IKB however based on the information that is provided it would appear that your system supports DP 1.2 via Thunderbolt 3 and HDMI 1.4 via the built-in HDMI video output. To the best of our knowledge, this means that your system will be unable to drive a 5K display.

Apologies again that we cannot be of more help in this specific case…

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.