Lenovo x1 Carbon Yoga Gen 3

Hey there, looking for compatibility recommendations on your docks with the Lenovo X1 Carbon Yoga 3rd Gen. I love that your pages list compatibility but I guess this guy is new enough it’s not listed.

My current needs are:

• charges this 65w beast laptop, which has usb-c/thunderbolt-3 in
  • can stream video over HDMI, including Netflix. Without a dongle preferably, unless the dongle is included.
  • At least a few USB 3A ports
  • Audio jack

For future proofing, I’d love to have at least one more USB-c port than the one that connects/powers the host computer. Currently my monitor isn’t even 1080p, but my laptop is 4k so eventually I’ll probably want to get a 2k or 4k monitor, and if I could hook up both monitors that would be best. But I’m also on a budget and I’m hoping to get something for around $200CAD.

It sounds like the UD-CAM would tick all my current need boxes, including price.
But the UD-ULTCDL has a few more of the ports I want (a whole extra HDMI and USB3.1), is about $50 more, but sounds like it might not power my machine as it’s only rated up to 60W? Is there anything other devices I’m missing?

Hi Gillian,

Thank you for posting!

Based on your description, it sounds like you have a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen laptop → https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-yoga-3rd-gen-type-20ld-20le-20lf-20lg (the Carbon model is different from the Yoga). Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Assuming for the moment my understanding is correct, we do not have your specific system in our test lab so unfortunately we cannot guarantee its compatibility with our products.

That said and as you mention, our UD-CAM dock (https://plugable.com/products/ud-cam) does appear to meet your current requirements and we have had positive compatibility reports from other customers with similar Lenovo systems.

The UD-CAM provides the ability to connect up to one external HDMI display at up to 3840x2160 resolution at a 30Hz refresh rate. Lower resolutions such as 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 are also supported, at a higher 60Hz refresh rate.

The dock also provides up to 85W of power to charge the laptop, as well as four additional USB 3.0 ports, a wired gigabit Ethernet port and a combination audio input/output jack.

A quick note, any of our DisplayLink-based products (such as the UD-ULTCDL) would not be an option in this case because they do not support video services that make use of HDCP copy protection (such as Netflix). The UD-CAM does not use DisplayLink technology, so it is unaffected by this limitation.

Should you elect to proceed with a purchase and find that the dock does not meet your needs, we do offer a 30-day no-hassle return policy for all products sold by Plugable and fulfilled by Amazon.

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies

Hi Bob, you are absolutely correct on the laptop model, thank you so much for the reply! I will look into ordering that device.

You are very welcome Gillian!

Bob

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.