Lenovo Lenovo IdeaPad 3 82H803GFCF and UD-CA1A

Good day,

Is there a way to make this two devices work together:

The first try using USB-C failed.

Hi Bohdana,

Thank you for contacting Plugable! I’m sorry the UD-CA1A isn’t working as expected, and I’ll be happy to help.

Thank you as well for providing the details about your Laptop.

The UD-CA1A uses a technology called “DP-alt mode” to send video from the computer’s USB-C port through the docking station, and in turn to the HDMI display connected to the dock. With docks which use this technology it’s required for the computer to support DP-alt mode on its USB-C port to output video through the dock. Not all computers support DP-alt mode on their USB-C ports, and as a result they are not capable of connecting to external displays through UD-CA1A’s HDMI port.

In reviewing the specifications for the Lenovo IdeaPad 3 82H803GFCF I found that its USB-C port does not support DP-alt mode. This detail is written on page 4 of the User Guide from Lenovo for this system: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/s360_ug_en.pdf

Unfortunately, this means it is not compatible with UD-CA1A. I’m afraid there isn’t a way to add this functionality to the computer either. Since the USB-C port doesn’t have DP-alt mode, the computer would need a USB-C docking station which uses USB graphics technology such as DisplayLink to connect to external displays over USB.

As an alternative dock which is compatible with your laptop, I’d recommend UD-6950H: https://plugable.com/products/ud-6950h

The UD-6950H is a DisplayLink-based docking station which would connect to your computer using the included 0.84 meter USB-C cable. It provides the ability to connect up to two external 4K 60Hz displays (lower resolutions are also supported) to the dock’s two video output groups. Each video output group offers the choice of DisplayPort or HDMI to connect to a display. UD-6950H also features six 5Gbps USB-A ports, a wired Gigabit Ethernet port, and two 3.5mm audio jacks for input and output devices.

Some important notes on products that use DisplayLink technology:

DisplayLink-based USB graphics adapters and docking stations are “virtual” devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the host system’s CPU, and uses software to essentially emulate graphics hardware. As a result, this setup is best suited for office/productivity tasks, and isn’t meant for graphically-intensive applications like video streaming or gaming.

It would be necessary to install the DisplayLink driver (available from the “Downloads” section of the product page for UD-6950H product linked above) on your computer. Please note that this means that you must administrative privileges on the computer.

DisplayLink does not support the playback of high-bandwidth digital content protection (HDCP) such as Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime video, etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for giving us the chance to assist!

Sam
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.