Lenovo B590 and UD-3900 - Out of Box Questions

Installed Plugable UD-3900 and connected Lenovo B590 Notepad yesterday. I have this set up to use external monitor via DVI - single view only. Successful, despite having to update USB 3.0 host controller, but a few questions:

*Is the UD-3900 system hot plugable? Can I go back and forth plugging and plugging the laptop without re-configging my USB connection or my laptop?

*are there any universal or Lenovo-only or Win7-only settings (display, power, etc.) for optimal coupling with UD-3900.

*If I image the laptop’s HDDs with third party software (Acronis, Easus Todo, etc.) do I image it connected to UD-3900 or should I disconnect first?

* I am having a problem accessing graphics card (Intel® HD Graphics 4000; is it an integrated chip?) while connected to Plugable. I can access the card but it wont let me do anything–make changes etc. Admittedly, I have not taken this off of the USB since I installed Plugable to see if I can do this while using laptop screen only. Is this common? Do I need to fix something?

*Lastly, I keep getting message that the Displaylink Tray Application cannot connect to Windows Update server. I assume I have latest driver because I downloaded it off web yesterday. Is this the reason or do I need to tweak a setting?

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Q: *Is the UD-3900 system hot plugable? Can I go back and forth plugging and plugging the laptop without re-configging my USB connection or my laptop?
A: Yes, you may hot plug the dock, there will be no need to reconfigure the dock. We have an example of a hot plug scenario here: http://youtu.be/dYy0tdMworg

Q: *are there any universal or Lenovo-only or Win7-only settings (display, power, etc.) for optimal coupling with UD-3900.
A: No. The UD-3900 does not need any special configuration aside from setting the resolution for your monitor and if you use the audio ports on the dock, to tell Windows to use the dock as the default audio device: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-change-…

Q: *If I image the laptop’s HDDs with third party software (Acronis, Easus Todo, etc.) do I image it connected to UD-3900 or should I disconnect first?
A: It will not matter either way. The drivers and configuration remain on the computer even when the dock is disconnected.

Q: * I am having a problem accessing graphics card (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000; is it an integrated chip?) while connected to Plugable. I can access the card but it wont let me do anything–make changes etc. Admittedly, I have not taken this off of the USB since I installed Plugable to see if I can do this while using laptop screen only. Is this common? Do I need to fix something?
A: This is normal, the UD-3900 DisplayLink graphics chip uses the HD Graphics 4000 to render the images for the monitor(s) connected to the dock. While the dock is connected, you will not be able to make changes using the Intel graphics utilities. With the dock disconnected, you should be able to make changes.

Q: *Lastly, I keep getting message that the Displaylink Tray Application cannot connect to Windows Update server. I assume I have latest driver because I downloaded it off web yesterday. Is this the reason or do I need to tweak a setting?
A: The DisplayLink utility often checks for driver updates. I suspect you may have a firewall blocking the connection.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

asked and answered. Thanks

erg