Laptop won't boot up with lid closed

Dell Inspirion 15 7000 laptop will not power on while the lid is closed now that the UD-3900 is between it and the Lenovo monitor. Connection between monitor and UD-3900 is HDMI. It appears that the laptop does not think there is a display available, so it won’t power up.

It worked just fine when the laptop was directly connected to the monitor via HDMI.

If I slightly open the laptop now and wait for it to boot up, then close it, it works fine, but this is a real pain as the location of the laptop is not real easy to get to.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for reaching out and posting on Get Satisfaction. I’ll be happy to help with the issue you’re experiencing today. The first thing we will want to check is if the power management settings are correct on the computer. By default, these are usually set to either put the computer to sleep or hibernate when the lid closes but we can adjust them so the computer stays on. This is the most likely cause of what’s happening, and usually this kind of thing can be fixed by telling the computer to stay on when the lid closes. In Windows, this can be done by:

1. Open Control Panel, then click Hardware and Sound, then click Power Options
  2. From the side panel, click ‘Choose What Closing The Lid Does’. You should see several drop downs here, each line has two settings. One for On Battery and the other for Plugged In. As you might guess, On Battery is for when the power supply of the laptop is not plugged in, whereas Plugged In is the settings for when it is connected to the power Supply.
  3. Ensure the settings for ‘When I Close The Lid’ is set to Do Nothing. If you want this to occur both when the laptop is connected to power and when it is operating solely on the battery, select Do Nothing for both drop downs (otherwise set Do Nothing for Plugged In options only and keep On Battery as it is now).

If this information doesn’t help or does not match up with what you see, please let me know what operating system you are on and I will provide additional steps (the settings and path to them changes with each operating system). Let me know if you have any further questions, and hopefully these steps help!

Thanks again,

Patrick
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Craig,

I hope the information provided in my previous post was helpful, and I wanted to notify you we are closing this thread.

If you need further assistance, please send us an email to support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to assist!

Patrick
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support