Laptop overheating (Dell XPS 9360)

I have a brand new Dell 9360 with Intel i7 8th gen chip. I bought the Plugable USB-C docking station so I can use the laptop at home on a bigger screen (32" dell monitor) with keyboard, bluetooth mouse, two printers and speakers attached to the dock. The computer appears to run very hot when its attached to the dock. The fan runs continuously. I downloaded the HWiNFO64 app to see how hot it was and the CPU package was over 90 degrees celsius, with some cores hitting 98 degrees C. I don’t know if this is considered “hot” in computer terms but it felt pretty hot to the touch.

I’m not technically oriented so some of the “fixes” for overheating issues found on the internet are beyond my capabilities (i.e. cracking the computer and replacing parts, which probably would void the warranty anyway). I also plan on contacting Dell but wanted to put up a quick post to see if anyone has thoughts or has run into overheating issues. Thank you!

Hello Brandon,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Please contact us at support@plugable.com if you require additional assistance.