Laptop Monitor Deactivates When System Goes to Sleep

how do i keep the laptop monitor active when my system goes to sleep? each time i reawaken my system from sleep, the laptop monitor is deactivated and i have to go to display settings to extend the desktop onto the laptop monitor.

Hi Lorelie,

Thanks for posting here! Could you post back with the following information so we can understand the setup and the issue better?

1. What is the make and model (or specs) of the laptop and the current version of OS used?

2. What are the make and model(s) (or specs) of the external monitors connected and their mode of connection ?

3. As we have many products, could tell us which is model you have? If you have trouble figuring out just email your Amazon Order Id and a link to this thread to support@plugable.com and we will pull this information from there.

4. Is it the laptop screen that gets deactivated when the system goes to sleep or is it the external monitor(s) connected that gets deactivated?

Once you reply back with this information we will figure out the next steps.

Thanks for your patience while we figure this out!

Regards,
Roze

Hi Roze!

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Here’s the information you requested:

1. What is the make and model (or specs) of the laptop and the current version of OS used?

Toshiba Satellite A305-S6872
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 Processor
3GB at 667MHz Memory
Intel GMA 4500MHD Graphics
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
32-bit

1. What are the make and model(s) (or specs) of the external monitors connected and their mode of connection?

NEC MultiSync 90GX2
4mms response time
1280x1024
60hz refresh rate
700:1 contrast ratio

1. As we have many products, could tell us which is model you have? If you have trouble figuring out just email your Amazon Order Id and a link to this thread to support@plugable.com and we will pull this information from there.

Plugable UGA-125 USB 2.0 to VGA/DVI/HDMI Adapter for Multiple Monitors up to 1280x1024 / 1440x900 Each (DisplayLink DL-125 Chipset)

1. Is it the laptop screen that gets deactivated when the system goes to sleep or is it the external monitor(s) connected that gets deactivated?

It is the laptop screen.

The DisplayLink Manager is set to Extend. This is how my Display Settings are when I reawaken my laptop from sleep. !](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/647119/12-7-2011_8-00-05_AM_inline.jpg)](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/647119/12-7-2011_8-00-05_AM.jpg)

And this is how the Display Settings should be at all times. !](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/647123/12-7-2011_8-03-48_AM_inline.jpg)](https://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/647123/12-7-2011_8-03-48_AM.jpg)

I do hope we can resolve this minor issue since I am loving the experience of having 3 total monitors to use in my trading. Our trading group in FB is also very excited to hear about my experience.

Thank you for your assistance, Roze!

Lorelie,

Thanks for posting back with the information and the screenshots! Could you run the DisplayLink support tool (instructions here: http://plugable.com/support/displayli… ) and email the .zip to support@plugable.com.?

This would give us a better insight as to what is going on.

Once we analyze it, we can figure out the next steps.

Regards,
Roze

Hi Roze,

I have emailed the zip file from the utility tool with a link to our discussion. I also activated the Advanced DisplayLink Logging and might be able to send a more detailed notation of the problem.

Thank you once again :slight_smile:

Hi Roze,

Just wanted to let you know that I was able to email the advance logging zip file of the DisplayLink utility. Did it give additional insight as to what the issue might be? I checked Toshiba’s website and there is no updated driver for my customized graphics card.

Any thought?

Thank you once gain :slight_smile:

Lorelie,

Thanks for sending the advanced logging zip file! We just finished analyzing it and the main hope of fixing this issue still lies in updating the drivers of the Primary Graphics Card (Intel) on the Laptop.

The latest Intel drivers for the chipset in your laptop is 15.​17.​18.​2555 dated 10/19/2011. The drivers version installed on your system is 7.15.10.1502 Dated 2008-06-13. Unfortunately some laptop manufacturers limit users from upgrading to the latest drivers. That seems to be the case here.

Possible Options-:

Try to manually download and install the latest Intel driver version 15.​17.​18.​2555 dated 10/19/2011. There is a high chance that you would not be able to install the driver and get the same message that you got when you tried to update the drivers with the Intel Driver Update Utility.

Generally Intel drivers for Windows 7 and Windows Vista are the same. So another option is to try to download the Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (32) from the Toshiba Support page. They do list Intel Display Driver for Windows 7 (32)(v8.15.10.1883; 09-03-2009; 26.57M) dated 09-03-2009 listed for download. Although not the most recent one, it might have the fix for your issue.

If the above two options do not work out, then we would recommend contacting Toshiba for any solution they can recommend for upgrading to the latest Intel drivers.

Regards,
Roze