Laptop charging

I assumed that the plugable usb 3.0 would also serve as a power source to the laptop but it appears that both the laptop and plugable have to be connected to power source. Am I missing something?

Thanks for asking!

This depends on what docking station you are using. Can you look at the bottom of the dock and let me know what model you have?

UD 3900

Thanks for confirming that! The UD-3900 isn’t capable of charging the host system.

If you require a dock that will charge the host, you must have either a USB-C PD compatible system, or have a docking station that is designed specifically for the laptop.

I’d be happy to help with a return if this feature is a requirement for you!

Sam, I have an HP 2 in 1 Elitebook and currently have 2 external monitors connected. one monitor is connected to VGA and the second is connected using a VGA to USB adaptor and plugged in to one of the 3.0 USB ports. I would be interested in returning this one and replacing with one capable of charging. I like the product but was disappointed that it doesn’t charge as I use the setup out of home office but frequently take the laptop out. I’m looking at the below but am not sure that it will be compatable.

Plugable USB-C Docking Station for Specific Windows, MacBook, Chromebook, and Linux USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 Systems (4K@30Hz/1080P@60Hz HDMI, 60W Charging on Supported Systems)

Plugable USB-C Mini Docking Station with 85W Charging for Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C MacBooks and Select Windows Systems (HDMI up to 4K@30Hz, Gigabit Ethernet, 4x USB 3.0 Ports, USB Power Delivery)

Thanks, Debi

I just realized that I threw the box away so I’m assuming that I can’t return?

Thanks for the info. Can you contact me at support@plugable.com so we can discuss return options and look into a dock better suited for your needs?