Lag using UD-3900. Computer Issue or Plugable Upgrade Needed?

I am running three 28" monitors off a Laptop’s USB C port to USB 3.0 port of a UD-3900 using a conversion cable. Most of the time I have Large Excel Files open. I am experiencing lag in many ways, opening files, movement of mouse, movement of window from screen to screen.

My latop is a fairly new Lenovo ideapad 720S. I have an i7-7700HQ, 16GB Ram (expandable to 32GB) on a SSD running 64bit Win 10 Pro with GTX 1050 Ti.

The UD-3900 video connections are:
HDMI to HDMI
DVI to DVI
Plugable USB 3.0 to VGA / DVI / HDMI (using DVI)

I need to be mobile with a laptop for when I travel. Should I be looking at newer Plugable hardware? Different type of Display distribution? Upgrade of the RAM? I feel like the laptop is very well spec’d out.

I appreciate any advise/help.

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for posting! I am sorry things are not working as expected with your UD-3900 docking station and UGA-3000 adapter and I would be happy to help.

Thank you as well for the detail you provided that is much appreciated. The behavior you describe is not typical, so our next step is to get some additional information.

1. You mention that you are using a conversion cable to connect the dock to the laptop’s USB-C port. Can you confirm that you are using the Plugable USB-A to C adapter? → https://plugable.com/products/usbc-af3/ I believe that to be the case based on your order history, however I do not want to make an incorrect assumption.

2. Looking online at the specifications for your laptop model, it appears to offer at least one USB 3.0 Type-A port. If you remove the current conversion cable and use only the USB 3.0 Type-A cable we included in the box with the dock to connect the dock to a USB 3.0 Type-A port within your laptop, does the behavior change? Apologies for any logistical challenges that may impose, however I just want to rule out the conversion cable and/or the laptop’s Type-C port as a contributor to the behavior.

3. Can you confirm that you are connecting the UGA-3000 adapter to one of the UD-3900 dock’s front-mounted USB 3.0 ports?

Pending that additional information, based on your description one thing we will want to ensure is that the latest version we recommend of the required DisplayLink driver is installed and in a good state to help rule it out as a contributor to the current behavior. To do so please follow these steps:

1. Please disconnect the dock from the system and please disconnect the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please also disconnect the UGA-3000 adapter. Please keep everything disconnected until the last step.

2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel → Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, please just move onto the next step.

3. Download and run the DisplayLink Installation Cleaner utility, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+Installation+Cleaner+8.4.2368.exe and ensure it displays “Cleaning Complete” when done (video walk-through if you need it → https://youtu.be/AcVV1gD_FvI)

4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot the system (even if not prompted to).

5. Now download and install the 8.6 M1 DisplayLink software driver, found here → https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin/DisplayLink/DisplayLink+USB+Graphics+Software+for+Windows+8.6+M1.exe

6. Reconnect the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on (a blue light will be present on the front), reconnect it to your system. If the device is not detected, please reboot the system. Once the dock is connected and working, please reconnect the UGA-3000 adapter to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the front of the UD-3900 dock.

If the clean installation of the driver did not help, please just let us know the additional information we requested above and we will determine the next steps from there.

Thank you for giving us the chance to help!

Bob
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.