kvm switch connection via plugable docking station

I purchased a Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Docking Station for Windows PCs (DVI/VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter). I purchased it to use as a docking station for my inspiron 1564. I need to use a kvm switch to switch from the inspiron to another laptop. I don’t know how to hook up the kvm switch to the kvm switch. Any suggestions?

Hi Peggy,

Thanks for posting your question here, I’ll be happy to assist. Just to be sure I understand what you are hoping to do with your UD-3000 tell me if this is correct–

You have two computers that you want to switch the UD-3000 between using a KVM switch?

If that’s correct, then a KVM switch won’t be the right choice. Because of the way that most KVMs handle graphics, they aren’t compatible with USB graphics like in the UD-3000. Also, there are all the other connections on the peripheral side of the UD-3000 that wouldn’t be swithched with a traditional Keyboard/Mouse/Monitor KVM.

Because all of the connections to the computer from the UD-3000 are on the USB side to switch them between machines you could use a USB switch like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-One-Bu…

Or just move the single USB cable between machines when you want to switch.

I hope this helps! Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Happy Holidays!
Jerome.

If I use the switch you mention, how quick does it switch from one computer to the other one?

Hi Jordi,

The switching of device control from one PC to the other is essentially immediate. However, the operating system on the switched PC then detects and configures the device which got switched over. So it varies quite a bit depending on the PC, and which devices are attached. This who process typically takes between 5-15 seconds, but can with all the various factors, it could be more or less than that.