Keep UD-3900 Awake?

Can I configure the UD-3900 to stay “awake” even when my connected laptop goes to sleep? I have an external storage device connected to one of the rear USB ports and would like to be able to access it from other computers on my network without having to wake my connected laptop.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reaching out to us. This is a very interesting question, and I just want to make sure that I am understanding it correctly.

Based on your description, if you are attempting to access the external storage device from another system on the network, then it is being shared utilizing Windows File Sharing, which would always require the system to be powered on and active to access it.

Our dock functions just like another USB based device, and if the host system sleeps, hibernates or is powered off, then the dock will disconnect and the items will not be able to be accessed.

It would not be possible to keep the dock “awake” if the host system is asleep. You can stop the system from sleeping or hibernating, therefore allowing the dock and external storage device to always stay connected and on, but that would require modifying the power settings in windows.

I hope this information helps!

Thank you,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Hi Mike,

We’re closing this thread due to inactivity, but if you wish to revisit please email support@plugable.com and we’ll be happy to help.

Thanks!
Gary