Keep losing one of two 4k monitors with new UD-6950

Keep losing one of my 4k monitors as soon as there is any “activity”, such as scrolling, moving windows around, etc. It’s as though the display adaptor gets overwhelmed and just shuts down one of the monitors. Win 10, SurfaceBook, current drivers, UD-6950

Hello George, thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear of this behavior and I will be happy to help!

Thank you for the description of what you are seeing. Just to clarify, do you only see this on one display or does it seem to alternate which 4K display is disconnected? If it is the same one each time, can you test swapping the cables on the dock end of the connection to see if the behavior seems to follow the specific DisplayPort it is connected to?

Pending those test results, we’ll want to ensure that the DisplayLink software is in a good state by reinstalling it and running the DisplayLink cleaner tool. To do so, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from the system and please remove the power cable from the dock so it turns off completely (this is important so the unit resets). Please keep it disconnected until the last step.
  2. Uninstall any and all software with ‘DisplayLink’ in the title that is present from within the Control Panel -> Programs and Features. Don’t worry if these entries are not present or if the process does not work, just move onto the next step
  3. Download, extract and run the DisplayLink cleaner tool, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  4. Once the Cleaner has been run, reboot (even if not prompted to)
  5. Now download and install the 8.3 M1 DisplayLink software, found here –> https://s3.amazonaws.com/plugable/bin…
  6. Reattach the power cable to the dock first. Once the dock is powered on, reconnect it to your system which will trigger the final portion of the installation

Please let us know if these steps help and the results from moving DisplayPort cables at the dock side of the cables and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

David,
Still having problems. I “abandon” trying to solve this problem 3 months ago as the problem seemed to follow my surface book to another plugable, so I assumed it was my laptop (have had issues with displays overheating it - long story). But now am retrying with a completely different laptop (Dell Latitude E6540). Retried with my surface book also. Same problem - after a few minutes (or seconds - random), one of the 4k displays goes off. Windows does not see it anymore. The problem does not follow the monitor, cable or port on the plugable. All of them work stand-alone. Hard to believe it is a plugabl unit problem since I saw the same issue on another plugable unit (3 months ago) - but now I am beginning to believe it is.

Again, this problem happens on two different laptops and does not follow anything. It seems that the unit just gets overwhelmed and/or overheats, causing errors, and disconnects one of the displays. I would sure like to see this work, but wonder if it ever does since I saw the exact same behaviour on another unit (which is no longer being used).

At this point I would like another unit that somebody has bench-tested.
Thanks.

I just recreated the problem on a third laptop. Both 4k monitors worked for about a minute, then one went off. Whenever I unplug, replug the usb to the plugable, both monitors come on for a few seconds, then one goes back off. The only pattern is that the second (lower) plugable port is the one that stays on. However, each port works individually. 99% sure it is a plugable hardware problem.

Hello George, thanks for the updates and sorry to hear that the issues continue. We’d be happy to send you a replacement unit that has been stress tested to ensure that it is working properly. I will reach out to your direct email that was used to register on our forums to facilitate the replacement process.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support