Is there a way to use the USB C docking station to turn on the laptop from sleep?

Is there a way to use the USB C docking station to turn on the laptop from sleep (ie, with the lid closed)?

I have an HP Spectre X360 (2017 Kaby Lake) and it’ll work if I open the lid and plug in the dock, but I’d like to wake it without needing to open the lid. Some docks, like the one from Dell, have a power button that will do this, but only for Dell laptops. Maybe a way for the laptop to turn on when power is inserted, or perhaps using the power button on the laptop itself to wake it from sleep with the lid closed?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Hi John, thanks for posting and asking! Just to clarify, would you be able to let us know the specific USB-C docking station you are using? We offer a couple of different models so I would just like to make sure we know the specific unit you are using.

Pending that information and just to clarify, when you have your system’s lid closed you must crack the lid open in order to wake from sleep rather than pressing a key on your keyboard or moving your mouse/pressing a button on the mouse? I also would expect the button on the side of your Spectre to wake the system from sleep, as well, so interesting that this function is not working.

Please let us know this additional information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support