Is the Pluggable US-3900 Right For Me?

Just purchased a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 4 (Windows 10 / Intel i5) and would like to connect this to a docking station for flexible use. In reviewing the various options, seems like there are many issues with connectivity, speed, hardware compatibility, etc… with just about every manufacturer. I would like to connect an older monitor (HP 2210m - has HDMI port), DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive, external hard drive, wired keyboard/wireless mouse, camera, microphone, external speakers … and connect to Ethernet. Is the Pluggable UD-3900 right for me … can I expect a plug-and-play experience, or should I expect to spend a bit of time getting this set up??? Seems like a lot of issues were with Windows 10 … have these been resolved?

Hi Gerry, thanks for posting! We do not have your specific system in our labs to test with, but I would expect our UD-3900 dock to work with your system. Please be aware that our dock does require the DisplayLink software to be installed for all of the components to work, so our dock is not really “plug-and-play” as there can be some troubleshooting to take place and configuration in arranging monitors or setting default audio devices. We do send out a post-order email which advises to install the DisplayLink software before the dock arrives so it is as close to plug-and-play as possible, but occasionally there can be some configuration steps to preform that I had mentioned.

Without knowing the specific models of peripherals you wish you connect, our dock offers 6 USB ports (two USB 3.0 ports on the front and 4 USB 2.0 ports on the back) as well as a microphone and audio jack on the front of our dock. However, if your speakers and microphone are USB based, our dock may not be a good fit as it seems there wouldn’t be enough USB ports for all of your desired peripherals.

Regarding issues within Windows 10, there has been a significant change in how the DisplayLink drivers function within Windows 10’s latest Anniversary Update which has caused a lot of frustration for customers. However, at large, the issues are being resolved by DisplayLink and Microsoft with additional Windows 10 and DisplayLink driver updates.

If you do choose to proceed with a purchase, we offer a 30-day no hassle return policy on Amazon.com/returns if you find that our dock does not meet your needs.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks for the prompt reply … I’ll have to make a decision on which way to go. Will follow-up later on experience.

V/R

Gerry