Is Plugable UGA-2K-A compatible with Intel C2D 1.5ghz (T5250) & Dell U2410?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase the Plugable UGA-2K-A USB (based on DL-195) for my Lenovo 3000 Y410 laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 1.5GHz, 2GB DDR2 RAM upgraded to Windows 7 64 Bit) to connect to a Dell U2410 (16:10 1920X1200). There is no additional graphics card on the laptop. I want to know if the plugable product would be compatible to use with the U2410 monitor at 1920X1200 resolution without any issues? Or should I need to buy the Toshiba Dynadock U (with the built-in Digital HD video card) instead?

My laptop screen is showing some issues and so I wont be able to use it but instead wold be using the Dell U2410 screen as my primary screen.

Kindly please respond at your earliest. Based on your response, I would make my decision whether to buy the plugable product or not.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
vkvraju

Hi vkvraju,

Thanks for posting your question! Yes, the UGA-2K-A will be compatible with the Lenovo 3000 Y410, and it will be able to do 1920x1200 on the Dell U2410.

It will also have better performance than the Toshiba Dynadock U which has a older DisplayLink DL-190 chip. The UGA-2K-A has the latest chip, the DL-195.

Now, on this class of laptop (Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz, Intel GMA3100 graphics), using it as your primary monitor, you will notice the performance change from your main laptop screen. There will be lag when a lot of pixels are changing, and you won’t want to do full-screen video at 1920x1200 (the frame rate will be too low). So you will need to bend your behavior and expectations, when using this as an only screen. That’s going to be true for any solution over USB 2.0.

But we have lots of people do this general thing - when a laptop screen starts getting flaky, a USB-attached display is a great solution to keep using that (otherwise still perfectly good) laptop.

Hope this helps! Thanks again for your post and question!
Bernie

Thank You very much for the answer. This helps in my decision now.

Thank you! If you do buy, feel free to come back here and update on how it went.

Best wishes,
bernie