Is it possible to not use the graphics of the plugable and use Nvidia graphics card on the plugable?

I have a laptop with Nvidia GTX 1050, and I have a duel monitor set plugged into the laptop using plugable USB 3.0. Is it possible to not use the graphics of the plugable and use the GTX 1050 on the two monitors? Thanks for responding!

Hello and thanks for posting!

Our USB 3.0 video adapters and docking stations based on DisplayLink technology are ‘virtual’ graphics adapters that rely on the host system’s CPU and internal physical graphics adapter (GPU) in order to function.

Put another way, the Plugable adapter/dock in and of itself is not a GPU and is dependent on the CPU and GPU within the laptop in order to work.

That said, I am not quite sure I understand your question…can you provide some additional detail about what specifically is or is not working as expected on your system while using the Plugable adapter/dock?

Thank you,

Bob
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Thank you for responding!

My problem is this:
When I play video games on my laptop, I get very good fps, but after I connect my laptop to the monitors, frames started dropping. I checked my graphics card settings and it says there is another graphics card called Plugable UD-3900 other than my GTX 1050 and the intel graphics in the CPU. I tried to check my default graphics card by checking it in the Nvidia Control Panel, but the control panel would not open, this is on the screen: You are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU.

Nvm, I solved the problem by plugging the HDMI direct to my laptop. Anyway, thanks for helping me!

Thanks for getting back with the additional information, and I am glad to hear that connecting the monitor directly to the system has helped.

The behavior you describe is not unexpected with DisplayLink technology, and it is for that reason we do not recommend our DisplayLink-based products for gaming. We do our best to call this out in our product listing (https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900/) and speak to the reasons in more detail under the ‘Gaming’ section:

"Our DisplayLink-based USB graphics adapters and docking stations are “virtual” devices where much of the heavy lifting is done by the host system’s CPU, by hooking into the graphics stack. The DirectX and OpenGL APIs used by many games assume direct hardware access (a PCIe graphics card). DisplayLink’s drivers attempt to emulate as much of the functionality as possible, which is why some 3D functionality (like that needed for desktop and apps) works.

We don’t recommend running games with DisplayLink-based USB graphics products, because this emulation cannot be perfect, and often APIs used by games (DirectX and OpenGL) prevent DisplayLink devices from functioning properly. Even without specific compatibility problems, performance will always be a challenge - the extra CPU work required for USB graphics will be a source of reduced frame rates and problems. Normal desktop and application use are fine because they don’t push the system as hard as a 3D games will."

Connecting the monitor directly to the HDMI output of the laptop allows for direct use of the Nvidia GPU, hence the improved performance. Glad to hear the workaround has helped, and please let us know if you need any assistance in the future!

Thank you,

Bob