Is colour calibration with colorimeter on Windows 10 possible with monitors connected via TBT3-UDZ and USBC-HDMI?

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9310) laptop running Windows 10. I have three external monitors connected to the computer via the following Plugable devices:

Thunderbolt 3 Hub (TBT3-UDZ)

• Dell 27" 4k (S2721Q) via HDMI cable
  • LG 24" 4k (24UD58-B) via HDMI cable

USBC - HDMI Adapter (USBC-THDMI)

• LG 24" 4k (24UD58-B) via HDMI cable

Can I use a calibration device such as a SpyderX to colour calibrate these monitors when connected via a Thunderbolt 3 dock and USBC adapter?

Hello Steve,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Native Thunderbolt and USB-C devices like the TBT3-UDZ and USBC-HDMI will handle color calibration without issue. Color calibration is only not possible for docks/adapters that are not using the system graphics chipset (like other DisplayLink or Silicon Motion based USB graphics adapters and docks we offer).

So for your TBT3-UDZ dock it will support color calibration as the displays attached through this dock are ultimately being driven directly from the graphics chipset in your computer and the dock is not DisplayLink/Silicon Motion based. The USBC-HDMI adapter will also support color calibration as it’s just converting the USB-C DisplayPort video signal to HDMI, but is also driven by the graphics chipset in your computer.

When using a color calibration device (like the SpyderX) it will not know that your displays are not directly attached to the system and it will calibrate them as expected. So you should be good to go with the equipment that you have.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Senior Engineer | Product Owner
Plugable Technologies

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.