Ipad usb connection to sync and charge.

This may sound a really stupid questions but I wanted be able to sync and charge my ipad3 at the same time. I was wondering whether this would be possible using the usb2-2port by connecting the pc and the power usb connection to the 2port side of USB connector. Then connect the Ipad to the cable end using a female to male converter. In theory the power and the data should flow up the two cables and then converge into the one cable and travel on up to the Ipad. I am sure that there is a reason why this would not work and I would be interested to know. Thanks for your help with this.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for asking, we’ll be happy to assist. Unfortunately, the scenario you are describing just won’t work. In our experiments with a first gen iPad, charging was actually happening while syncing just at about 1/3 the rate. Even though the indicator says “not charging”, if you wait a while, I think you’ll notice that battery is actually increasing in charge.

Here’s a link to a blog post with the details of our iPad charging experiments. I’m not sure if the iPad 3 behaves the same but there’s a good chance it will.

http://plugable.com/2012/03/13/chargi…

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Jerome.

Hi Jerome
Thanks for the response. If this will not work would it be possible to use your Plugable USB 2.0 Switch for One Button Swapping. Instead of connecting two PCs I connect the two Ipad usb cables. So that the USB to the wall power adaptor represents one PC and the other USB goes to the PC to sync with Ipad. Then the other side of the switch is connected to the usb that connects to the Ipad 30pin connector. Then using the switch would it be possible that the Ipad would either syncing one way and charge the other?.
Thanks again
Roland

Hi Roland,

We haven’t tested a setup like that so I can’t say for sure if it will work or not. If you do decide to give it a try, let us know how it goes. Remember, there’s a 30 day money back guarantee if you do try it out and it just won’t work.

I hope that helps,
Jerome.

Plugable Technologies