Invalid display with USB-C to DisplayPort cable

Upon connecting an external display via a plugable USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to DisplayPort cable, I frequently (often 100+ times) see the following errors in my Console:

WindowServer [ERROR] - Driver reported mode info is out of sync with current mode info. Display 3f003d, driver’s bytePerRow = 24064, driver’s width = 6720, stored width = 6720. Forcing rowbytes to be 4*modeInfo->ioModeInfo.nominalwitdh.

This happens with multiple device IDs (not just 3f003d) and multiple values of the driver width and stored width…

Less frequently I also see:

com.apple.AmbientDisplayAgent Invalid display 0x2b2867cd

This happens independently of whether an external display is attached and mainly when the MacBook wakes up.

SMC reset, PRAM reset and creating a new user have not solved the issues. However, ever so often when the computer wakes up WITH the external screen (Dell P2415Q) attached, the INTERNAL monitor starts flickering. Detaching the external screen does not resolve the problem; a restart resolves it.

Any ideas?

HARDWARE INFO:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3,5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP142.0160.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.44f1

SOFTWARE INFO:
System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G29)
Kernel Version: Darwin 16.7.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Hello Patrick, thanks for posting and I will be happy to help.

Thanks for the description of what you are seeing and the errors you are receiving. We have not had similar feedback similar to what you are describing so I cannot say with certainty what is happening.

If you happen to have other USB-C display adapters, do they behave in the same manner?

Does this occur regardless of Thunderbolt 3 port our cable is connected to on your MacBook Pro?

Does an image display on the connected display as you would expect or does it not display and you then see these error messages within the Console?

Please let us know these additional pieces of information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Hi, due to the lack of any other USB-C -> Displayport adapters on the market, I have only been able to test it with your cable. I did, however, test it with multiple monitors (always the same problem) and with a clean install of OS X (to make sure that it isn’t a software problem).

It happens on all USB-C Ports.

I see the errors in the console; however, the external monitor functions without any visible problems (until the internal monitor starts to flicker).

Hence I conclude that it must be a hardware issue on the mac, general incompatibility of my hardware revision, your cable and 10.12.6 or an issue with the plugable cable.

I have ordered another plugable cable and will try using it to see if its a cable issue.
If it still occurs with the new cable, it must be an issue with the computer.

Best,
Patrick

Thanks for the reply, Patrick. Certainly keep us in the loop regarding how a second cable works and we can go from there.

Thanks!
David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support