Intermittent loss of signal via 4K HDMI Port

Hi-

I have been using my USBC Triple for a couple years now without any problems in multi-monitor setup. Last prime day, I bought the Dell U3818DW.
The monitor cuts out every 11-15 minutes with a signal loss/searching for signal. Takes about 5 seconds to sync back up. I do not see the green nor blue light on the plugable change and stay solid.

I have upgraded the Dell drives to the latest version and have also updated the Plugable to its latest.

I do not have the issue when I downgrade to a HDMI1.4 cable nor do I experience it with a USB-C cable - both plugged into the 4k port. I have also swapped out the HDMI cable with same intermittent signal loss.

Comp: Dell XPS 13 9380
Dell U3818DW Firmware: M3B105
Os Drivers: 20 Jun 2017

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

jwb

Hi There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I am sorry to hear that you are running into this issue, but I would be more than happy to assist!

Based on the description of the issue, and the fact that the cable change to an HDMI 1.4 does not experience the same issue, the problem may be related to the fact that the Dell display outputs at 60Hz natively via 3840 x 1600, which is not supported on the 4K HDMI port on the dock. If you downscale the resolution to 1920 x 1080, does the same issue occur?

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks Marc. Let me try that and update ticket.

I am eyeing the TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt™ 3 (as soon as the issues are resolved with the XPS 9380). Does that support 60Hz natively via 3840 x 1600?

Answered my own question on the TBT3-UDV Thunderbolt™ 3 supporting 60Hz natively via 3840 x 1600…

I show that it does: From the specs page “Connect a single display up to 4K 60Hz (4096×2160@60Hz) via the integrated DisplayPort output,”

Honestly I will prolly wait on the TBT3-UDV supporting the XPS 13 9380. I like this monitor too much, and not going to downgrade the resolution…

Hi There,

Thank you so much for trying that out! This may be why you are running into this issue, as the highest refresh rate for the native resolution on that display supported on the dock should only be 30Hz, and disconnection issues can occur if the refresh rate is not within this range.

The TBT3-UDV does support 4K@60Hz via a direct DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, or via the secondary Thunderbolt 3 port if your display supports Thunderbolt 3.

Please let me know if the same issue occurs when downscaling.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.