Imac late 2013 on Mojave

Can you tell me if your TBT3-NVME1TB external drive will work on a late 2013 imac running the Mojave OS please? Thanks

Thanks for asking! No! This drive will only work with systems with Thunderbolt 3 support. Your Late 2013 iMac does not support this technology and it cannot be added to the system.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thanks and best wishes,
Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Thanks Joshua. How about if I used it via a thunderbolt dock such as the caldigit ts3 plus, connected to the imac via a thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor? Would that work?

No problem. Thanks for asking!

Theoretically this could be done, (Late 2013 iMac --> TBT1/TBT2 cable --> Apple TBT1/TBT2 to TBT3 bi-directional adapter --> TBT3 dock --> TBT3 NVMe drive) however, we can’t guarantee stable drive operation by doing so as it’s not something we officially test or support.

It’s also going to reduce the drive bandwidth considerably. It will end up not being much faster than USB 3.1 Gen 2 would be, so I wouldn’t personally recommend going through such efforts to connect this drive to your system.

Best wishes,
Josh

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.