I can't pair my mouse with my Raspberry Pi2.

I’m using a USB/Bluetooth adapter (USB-BT4LE) with a Raspberry Pi2, and I can pair successfully with my phone, but I can’t pair with my bluetooth mouse - when I try, it says it paired but failed to connect. Any ideas?

When I try to connect using hcitool I get “input/output error”.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo hcitool cc 00:02:76:34:13:2
Can’t create connection: Input/output error
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us about using your Bluetooth on your Pi with your mouse. I’m sorry it isn’t connecting.

I assume you have tried connecting the mouse to another Bluetooth device and know the mouse itself is good.

If the mouse has been connected to another device, please temporarily turn off Bluetooth on that device to make sure the mouse isn’t automatically connecting to it.

Please let me know if this works or not.

Thanks,

David
Plugable Support

I did verify that the mouse could still pair with my lap top and then turned off bluetooth on the lap top before trying to pair with the Pi.

Since we know the dongle works, I’m guessing the problem is somehow connected to how the mouse drivers interact with the bluetooth driver.

Yes, I think you are right about that. Could you please tell me the make and model of the mouse? I’m going to do some testing on my Pi with a similar mouse if I can find one.

Thanks!

David

It shows up in the computer’s bluetooth pairing as “Motorola Bluetooth Mouse”. Looking around it appears to be model 89519N.

Hi Michael,

I don’t have a Bluetooth mouse here at work, so I’m going to do some experimentation this evening at home, and see if I can discover anything.

David

David,

Don’t kill yourself over this one - I’m using a USB mouse at this point. The primary use for the dongle is for some PS3 controllers and the dongle has been absolutely flawless for that use.

Hi Michael,

I’m sorry for the delay. I’ve had a chance to work with a mouse on the Pi with Jessie, and I had the same issue you did. Using the Setup New Device function I also got the “Paired but failed to connect” message.

I did get it working though. What I did was click on the Bluetooth icon, then selected “Devices…” Then I clicked on the mouse in the Bluetooth Devices window and selected Device > Connect from the menu bar. It connected right away, and I’m able to use it. Could you try that and see if it works for you too?

Thanks,
David