HP Spectre X360 w/TBT3-UDV and occasional touchpad conflict

We’ve been looking for a docking solution for our new HP Spectre X360 laptops and settled on using the Thunderbolt 3 dock from Plugable (TBT3-YDV). It offers the advantage of single cable connection to the laptop for power and all peripherals. We have wired ethernet and two monitors connected to the dock for use at the office and are able to quickly connect at the start of the day (and disconnect at the end of the day).
I’ve noticed a few times when I come back to the office, connect to the dock and power up, that the touchpad on the laptop is not responsive. It appears to not be recognized at all. After struggling with finding a solution, I disconnected the laptop from the dock, did a restart and then the touchpad was recognized and worked. Reconnecting to the dock then seemed to work fine.
Things were good for a few weeks and then the situation repeated. I disconnected from the dock, restarted and then the touchpad was back in action.
My guess is that this is some sort of driver conflict, but I haven’t really been able to find any updates or information on this type of behavior.
Any one have a suggestion on how to isolate this issue, or better yet, have a solution?
Thanks!

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

We have a troubleshooting tool that helps us find out what is going on in situations like this. Please plug the dock into your computer, then go to this page and follow the instructions there:

http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Joshua,
I ran the tool and sent the diagnostic file to the support email.
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks Mike!

Taking a look at the diagnostics nothing obvious is standing out to the cause, but I suspect this may be related to an issue we’ve seen before. Let’s have you try the following patch and see if this helps. This is a troubleshooting option for our USB-C docks, but I suspect it may help with Thunderbolt 3 docks as well:

Problem: My wired (or wireless) mouse and/or keyboard are experiencing lag/latency (jumpy/jerky mouse pointer movement, missing key-presses, duplicate key-presses, etc) when connected to the dock. (The touchpad in most laptops are also connected via USB internally, so it could be affected just as any external mouse or keyboard - however we rarely if ever see issues with the built in touchpads)

Solution: Dell released a patch that changes a Windows Registry entry related to the Intel Management Engine that is not Dell exclusive which has resolved these issues for several of our customers using a range of different host systems from different manufacturers. We recommend to try installing this patch if you have some of the aforementioned issues:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03471411M/13/Dell_Dock_USB_TYPE-C_PATCH_2K0JJ_A00_SETUP_ZPE.exe

If that doesn’t help let me know!
Josh

Thanks, Joshua.
I’ll run that past my IT team.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.