HP Spectre Charging / Connection Issue

Running HP Spectre Model 13-W013DX. Plugged in computer with < 80% battery, and docking station continuously disconnected. Saw similar issue in forum regarding a Mac - plugged in both docking station & original power cord and issue seems to be resolved for now… Is there a permanent fix for this issue?

Hi Joe, thanks for posting and I will be happy to help! The behavior you describe is currently under investigation for the new MacBook Pro systems as well as the HP Spectre x360 series of laptops as we have been receiving feedback from customers experiencing these issues. The strangest part is that what may not work one one system, may work well on another even if they are of the same model.

Unfortunately, we are still working with our engineers on an absolute solution and the workaround we advise is what you currently have already employed, connecting the systems power adapter as well as connecting our docking station. We believe that the amount of potential interference significantly diminished while the system’s power adapter is being used, which is causing the continuous disconnections.

However, we do understand and appreciate that this is not an ideal workaround for customers and we would also be happy to assist with a return for refund as we do not want you to be stuck with a device that does not meet your needs. If this is a route you’d prefer, please reach out to our direct support email at support@plugable.com with ‘Ticket Number 172359’ in the subject line and your Amazon Order ID number and we can go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

David,

Thanks for your reply. Seems reasonable there are limits to how much a single USB-C cable can do… Now that I understand the cause & work-around, a return is not necessary. Please let me know if I can provide additional information to assist in developing a permanent solution.

Thanks,
Joe

Hello David,

I recently bought a usb-c dock, I am running into the same problem as Joe and I’m wondering if there was ever a solution to this problem other than having the work-around (keeping the laptop >80% charge / plugging in the laptop to the charger).

My plugble dock is ud-ca1a
My laptop is the spectre x360 15-bl0XX

thanks!
Sean

Migrated from previous Plugable Support forum 09/05/2018:

Hello, we had undergone a hardware revision within the dock last year, but the model you are using should be a fixed version. However, we do not have any results documented with the 15inch version of the HP Spectre x360.

To investigate we’ll want to examine some log files to see if they can tell us what is happening. To help us do so please download and run our diagnostic utility PlugDebug → http://plugable.com/support/plugdebug with everything connected. Please send us the file created on your desktop by attaching it to an email to our email support team at support@plugable.com with Ticket Number 234557 in the subject line and we’ll go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support