HP Envy 17t Dock Recommendation

Could I get a dock recommendation for an HP Envy 17t ? Specs are below. Only requirements are an Ethernet port, and it needs to drive two 1080p 60hz monitors. Any combo of Dvi, hdmi, displayport, vga is fine.

Stability and compatibility are more a priority than the dock’s ability to charge the laptop, but that would be nice. Is there a dock that supports charging it based on the specs below or is it luck of the draw? I havent seen this laptop series on the compatibility charts.

1 USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C™ (10 Gb/s signaling rate, Power Delivery 3.0, HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge);
2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A (5 Gb/s signaling rate, Data Transfer Only);
1 USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A (5 Gb/s signaling rate, HP Sleep and Charge);
*HP Sleep and Charge requires USB Type-A/Type-C charging protocol standard cable or dongle with external device for full functionality.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-cg000-8mx93av-1

Thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Thanks for posting!

Looking at the manual for this computer, while I do see that the USB-C port supports video, it makes no mention of supporting Power Delivery for host charging:

This concerns me because we’ve seen instances in the past where HP’s user manuals and product specifications do not match. Typically, the information in the user manual is correct.

With compatibility for host charging up in the air, I would recommend our USB-C UD-ULTCDL docking station. This dock supports up to three displays via a combination of two HDMI ports and one DVI port. The dock provides additional USB ports, Ethernet, and audio as well. Lastly, the dock does also provide up to 60W of power back to the host computer, but again, we can’t guarantee charging will be compatible.

If you would rather not gamble on charging support, we do offer non-charging docks (less expensive too) which you may want to consider. If you’re interested in these, let me know and I can provide more details.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Thank you Mitchell,

your comment about the unknown aspect of the USB power delivery matches the conclusion I was drawing. Since I’ll never need more than two 1080p monitors, what would be the next best option from the non-charging dock lineup?

Had positive experiences with the UD-3900 I used for a short time several years ago, but thought I should look at newer Plugable products at this point, perhaps not?

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would recommend you to consider our recently launched Plugable USB 3.0 and USB-C Universal Laptop Docking Station: https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900z/

It’s a newly launched version of our popular UD-3900 dock, but the UD-3900Z comes with two HDMI ports. Additionally, the UD-3900Z comes with both a USB 3.0 Type-A and USB-C cable for flexible host connectivity.

Please take a look at the product page linked above and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Mitchell

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.