HP Elitebook 840 G7: 4th external monitor?

I have a HP USB-C dock G5 that has two display ports and one HDMI port on it. In addition to that there is a HDMI port on my laptop itself.

I’m attempting to connect four external monitors and it seems that I can get three enabled after turning on enable high-resolution, but I cannot get the fourth monitor via the laptop HDMI port to become active.

Everything I’ve read I believe the maximum monitors I can support through the HP docking station is three.

Do you have a device that can support adding a fourth external monitor via USB-A or USB-C? I believe the enable high resolution setting downgrades my USB speed from 3.0 to 2.0, so I think I’m looking for an adapter that can support 1920x1080 over USB 2.0 using either HDMI or display port.

Hi there!

Thank you for contacting Plugable support!

If I understand you correctly you are looking for a video adapter that can support HDMI or Displayport at 1920x1080 resolution over a USB 2.0 port. If this is incorrect please let me know.

If correct, two adapters that I believe may fit your requirements would be our UGA-2KHDMI seen here: https://plugable.com/products/uga-2khdmi (HDMI)

Or the UGA-4KDP seen here: https://plugable.com/products/uga-4kdp (DisplayPort)

Both adapters are USB 3.0 but can certainly be connected to a USB 2.0 port. The speed will simply be downgraded from 5GBps to 480Mbps. This will not affect your video quality since both of these adapters are based on DisplayLink technology.

I hope this helps to answer your question and if you have any further questions or concerns please let me know and I would be happy to help.

Best regards,

Michael S.

Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I bought the UGA-2KHDMI adapter, and Windows 10 tells me its using the DisplayLink 9.2.2420.0 driver, but the monitor is not detecting the video signal.

I cant install the 9.4 driver that is listed on your product page due to enterprise restrictions on installing software, but I talked to my enterprise desktop team and they are working on a general upgrade to a newer version of the DisplayLink driver version (specific version to be identified in 1-2 weeks).

Should this adapter be working if the DisplayLink 9.2 drivers are installed?

I got it working as is. I unplugged the HDMI cable from monitor 4, unplugged my 3rd monitor that had a a DisplayPort cable in it, plugged the USB>HDMI cable into monitor 3, then plugged the DP cable into monitor 4 and it just started working.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.