How to get 3 External Monitors to work with Laptop Screen?

I have a HP Elitebook x360 830 G6 (Intel UHD Graphics 620) with HP USB-C Dock G5 and I really want to hook three external monitors and still have the laptop screen as a 4th. Is this possible with additional equipment? One of my displays is a TV so HDMI is the only possible connection. I am flexible on the other two. I also use a HP 27n G2 display which says something about daisy chaining capabilities, but not really sure what that means. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi Steven,

Thanks for posting.

To clarify, are you currently driving two external monitors through your HP USB-C Dock G5 (plus your laptop screen as a 3rd)?

If so, in this case, you can add a fourth display through the use of one of our USB graphics adapter based off DisplayLink technology. Our Plugable UGA-3000 adapter for example can connect to one of the USB 3.0 ports on the HP dock, in which you could connect an additional HDMI/DVI/VGA display.

If you might see this as an option, I would recommend you double-check that your computer is compatible with the adapter’s DisplayLink driver by referring to DisplayLink’s system compatibility checker tool: https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/544297-is-my-windows-computer-compatible-with-displaylink

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

I have tried something similar to this but much less expensive. While it did allow me to get the 4ths screen on I had a ton of resolution and cursor issues. I am not familiar with the technology but don’t want to spend this much to have the same issues. It would allow the 4th monitor to come on but there was like a second cursor hovering over the first on that monitor and then it wouldn’t allow me to get the maximum resolution on my 3rd monitor which was attached directly to my hub. Not sure if that is a system issue or because I bought a cheap adapter?

To investigate further, could you please provide a link to the adapter you used?

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchel, I got impatient and bought your display adapter to see if it would work. While it operated the monitor it is plugged into much better than the cheaper one, it still will not allow my other 3rd monitor to display at full resolution. Any idea on how to fix that?

Hi Steven,

Hmm, what is the max resolution of your third monitor that you are trying to achieve?

We specify in various areas of the product page that the maximum supported resolution of the UGA-3000 adapter is 2048x1152 (1920x1080 with Analog VGA). If you’re trying to drive a 1440p monitor or higher, then the UGA-3000 adapter is not a compatible fit.

EDIT: You had mentioned one of your displays is a HP 27n G2 display, which I see is a 2560x1440 monitor. However, I’m not sure the resolution of the other two displays you are using.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

So this is strange but its not the monitor that is hooked up to the display adapter. That one is displaying fine. Its a different monitor that no longer displays at 1920 x 1080 @ 60hz. When I unhook the monitor that is connected to the adapter then the monitor displays correctly. So it has something to do with this adapter.

Given this behavior, I’d like to request some logs from your system to best investigate further.

Could you please keep everything attached to the computer (including the UGA-3000 and monitor), and then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send this file to us directly at support@plugable.com and include “Ticket #319568” in the subject line.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

Gmail will not allow me to send this file. It says blocked for security reasons. Can I attach this file here instead?

While the logs don’t contain any personal files or passwords, we still do not allow log files uploaded here publicly just in the interest of your privacy.

If Gmail claims that the .zip file may contain malicious content, you will need to rename file, we suggest adding a .pdf to the end of the file name. (e.g. MY-LAPTOP_20140101_093015 .zip.pdf ).

If you still run into issues, you can also upload the file to a cloud storage service and share the download link.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Hi Steve,

The log files were received, thanks!

Looking through the log contents, I do see that while the monitor connected to the Plugable UGA-3000 adapter is running fine, your Dell S2209W monitor has dropped to 1024x768 resolution. We could be dealing with a bandwidth issue, as your GPU is intentionally limiting the output resolution of this display to a “safe” resolution of 1024x768 to prevent display issues.

To help confirm this, what if you connect the Plugable UGA-3000 adapter to either the USB 3.0 port on the left or right side of the Dell HP computer (instead of connecting through the Dell HP dock)?

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

To be clear I don’t have a dell computer or dock, those are both HP but the Monitor is a Dell. In any case I tried what you asked plugged the plugable directly into the laptop and restarted the machine. Nothing seems to change at all. The problem persists.

Apologies for the Dell confusion, I do understand you have an HP laptop and dock (corrected that in my previous reply).

HP has an article about this which includes a BIOS change that may help in the scope of the HP dock: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06575423

Otherwise, I’m afraid you may want to consider returning the graphics adapter, as while it is compatible on its own, it doesn’t not fully fit in with the HP dock.

Thanks!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell,

This seems to have solved my issue! I am hopeful that the speeds being reduced isn’t much of a nuisance. So far so good. Thank you so much for all your help with this!

Great to hear! Thanks for the update – you’re welcome for the help.

I’ll be closing this thread, but feel free to open up a new topic or reach out to us at support@plugable.com if you have any other questions. We’re glad to help.

Best wishes,

Mitchell

I have 3 external monitors connected to a hub along with a Plugable UGA-3000. At random times (sometimes when changing audio sources, sometimes upon startup, and sometimes when my Microsoft Teams app crashes) 3 of the 4 screens will disconnect and the only one left on is the one connected to the plugable adapter. This is not set as my main screen so I am not sure why this is the one that is left on. I wonder if the hub drivers and the plugable drivers are causing issues with one another? I have to go into the display settings in windows and re-connect each of the other monitors by choosing extend to this monitor. I should also note that I had to use the following fix in order to even get the 4 screens to use the correct resolution:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06575423

This could also be a contributing factor.

I am using a HP Elitebook x360 830 G6 (Intel UHD Graphics 620) .with HP USB-C Dock G5. My external monitors are a 32 in Vizio TV (this has the plugable adapter), a HP 27n G2 display, and a Dell S2209W monitor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reaching out!

Have you tried taking the UGA-3000 out of the mix to see if the issue goes away? That would pretty quickly point us in the right direction, at least.

I’d like to get logs from your system to see what might be going on here in the background, as your description isn’t reminiscent of anything typical. Can you run our support tool, Plugdebug, and send the result over to support@plugable.com ? Here’s how:

https://plugable.com/support/plugdebug

I’ve opened ticket #322522 for this interaction.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. I just emailed that file over. It seems the problem started right after installing the plugable adapter and making the Bios change that was the resolution to Ticket #319568.

The problem just occurred again during the scan of this utility if that tells you anything?

Two topics had been opened for this issue, so I merged them to reduce confusion. It looks like Mitchell was able to identify the issue here. Please do reach out again if you have any other troubles!