How to Display (2) HDMI Monitors on the USB-C Dock?

Just acquired the USB-C Triple display dock and it is attached to a Lenovo 910 with (2) HDMI monitors. Only one monitor is projecting am image. What setting needs to be made to display BOTH monitors?

Hi Mike, thanks for posting and I’ll be happy to help! Would you be able to let us know the brand and model of monitors you are using? Also, would you be able to let us know the specific HDMI port on our dock that the monitor that is not displaying an image is connected to (HDMI 4K or HDMI 2K)? Also, just to clarify, the Yoga 910 appears to have two USB Type C ports. Would you be able to let us know the specific port that our dock is connected to?

Please let us know this additional information whenever you have a moment and we will go from there.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

Monitor: Samsung - CF591
The monitor on the HMDI 2k port is not displaying an image
Currently connected to the USB-C port that supplies power to the system. Also tried using the USB port - same results

Hi Mike, thanks for the update. I apologize for any redundancy, but In looking up the Lenovo Yoga 910’s specifications here –> http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/… and manual here –> https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/… it appears that the two USB Type C ports do not function the same where one is used for only charging (the back most port) while the other is used for the USB Type C video output (the front most port), so I am a bit perplexed that the video output is working while connected to the USB Type C charging port - I would not expect this.

It sounds like the monitor that is not working may be isolated to the HDMI port that uses DisplayLink technology (HDMI 2K) in order to display on a monitor while the monitor that is working sounds like it is using USB-C DisplayPort Alternate Mode (HDMI 4K). If you physically swap the ports that the HDMI cables are connected to, does the disconnected monitor seem to follow the HDMI port?

Pending the results from that test, we would like to examine some log files from your system in order to help determine what could be happening and I will reach out to you directly with instructions to provide these logs and then limit our conversation to the email thread, for now, to keep all information in one place.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I changed the connection to the 2nd USB-C port and everything is working! WOOOHOOO!!

Glad to hear that connecting to the other USB-C port helps get things up and running! Please be aware that our dock may not be able to provide power and charge your laptop while connected to the 2nd USB-C port.

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies
www.plugable.com/support

I also have a Lenovo Yoga 910 as well as a Yoga 900. I believe I read the Yoga 900 and the USB-C Triple Display Dock are incompatible. But aside from charging, are the Yoga 910 and the triple doc otherwise compatible?

I took the plunge and up and running on two displays with the triple display dock plugged into the the Yoga 910’s second/nearest USB-C port. Works like a charm; thanks Plugable.

For those with Yoga 910. so you want your 4k monitor at 60HZ here how.
Purchase the pluggable triple display and the pluggable usb - c HDMI 2.0 converter.
this

Now hookup the triple display to the back usb -c port on the 910. this will provide charging (albeit slow) as well as two (display link) monitors at 1920x1080. In addition to all of the normal peripherals Ethernet port, usb, and audio connections.

Now hook the USB-c to HDMI 2.0 active converter up to the forward port on the 910 this is the port that supports alternate display. You will need to configure your 910 so that closing the LID does nothing in power settings. Now you should have three screens with the last one being 4K @ 30 hz. don’t panic it will be 60 hz after the next configuration.

Now open your display settings click advance. change your refresh rate to 60hz.
apply. You now have a 4K 60 hz monitor.

Note you have nothing attached to the 4K pluggable dock port. why because this port only supports 4K @ 30hz not 60HZ you need the active adapter for that hopefully someday pluggable will put the adapters electronics in the dock and that would be perfect. until then we have this workaround.

My configuration.

1. Lenovo Yoga 910
  2. Plugable triple dock hooked to back port on 910. USB 2.0
  3. Plugable usb -c to HDMI (2.0) active 60 HZ adapter
  4. Nothing hooked to the usb 3.0 type a connector can be used for whatever.
  5. 24" 1920x1080 display connected with HDMI to 2K port on Dock
  6. 24" 1920x1080 display connected with HDMI to DVI/HDMI converter on Dock
  7. 40" 3840x2160 4K TV @ 60 HZ connected to USB-c to HDMI (Active) converter
  8. dock audio out to KIPSCH sub/speakers
  9. logitech 920 webcam

everything works great. The only issue is the dock only charges at 30w instead of 45w so it charges a bit slow when left on. Hope this helps someone.

Hi guys,

thanks for the detailed blueprint but I failed to connect my LG 27MU67-B via the plugable usb-c/HDMI converter to my yoga 910 at 60hz. The only option it shows in display settings is 30hz… In addition, there is no longer an “advanced” button. Or do I fundamentally miss the point?

Thanks!

@Chris, thanks for posting. Please contact our direct support email address at support@plugable.com with problem description and model of Plugable product. One of our support agents will then be able to help!

Thank you,

David W.
Plugable Technologies

update: well it seems that you have to activate Deep Color.
For future reference:
Monitor OSD -> Picture -> Picture Adjust -> HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color -> On

Can confirm the plugable usb-c described above:
http://support.plugable.com/plugable/…

Works with 2 monitors. 1 @4k connected to the laptop forward port with the adapter, and one at 2560x1440 connected to the plugable triple display dock.

@Doug Hegge - I’ve been researching multiple monitors for my yoga-910 for three months. Yours is by far the best, most complete answer I’ve found. Thank you! I’m going to post a link to it on the lenovo forum where there is constant discussion about this.

Michael Milligan
Layton, Utah