How to Connect early MacBook Pro 2015 to pluggable docking station ‎TBT4-UDZ?

Hi,

What would be the best way to connect my early MacBook Pro 2015 to my pluggable docking station ‎TBT4-UDZ? My MacBook Pro has a thunderbolt 2 port?

I have tried using a connector but the docking station doesn’t even recognize my laptop. Any suggestions?

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out on the forums! I would be happy to help answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no way to connect the TBT4-UDZ to a 2015 MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt 2 output. This is because the TBT4-UDZ is a Thunderbolt 4 dock that relies on technologies only available with Thunderbolt 4, so there is no way to make it “backwards compatible” with a Thunderbolt 2 host.

Additionally, even macOS hosts with Thunderbolt 4 will not be able to support 4x displays with this dock, as macOS does not support a technology called DisplayPort MST, which is required to support 4x displays.

Sorry for the inconvenience! We do offer docks that work over USB-A if you are interested in a dock that would be compatible with your host:

https://plugable.com/collections/docking-stations/usb-type-a-to-host

Thank you,

Evan King
Plugable Technologies

Thanks for the quick response. I am using my current docking station for my dell laptop. Is there a way I can connect my current docking station to the one you suggested?

I am hoping to switch between both laptops without reconnecting my my monitors, keyboard, noise etc.

Unfortunately, there is no way to connect the TBT4-UDZ to any our our USB-A docking stations, as none of our USB-A docking stations have downstream Thunderbolt 4 ports. Our USB-A docks should work with your Dell laptop though, so a potential solution could be to simply replace the TBT4-UDZ with a USB-A docking station so that you can switch the dock between hosts. Note that our USB-A docking stations cannot charge the host laptop, so you would lose out on that functionality with your Dell laptop.

Thank you,

Evan King
Plugable Technologies

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.