How to apply heat pads to NVME in plugable enclosure

I have the plugable NVME enclosure that is USB 3.1. It seems to be overheating. If I have it in the enclosure with the lid secure it transfers for a couple of minutes and then locks up. When I take the lid off and have a small fan blowing on it, it is able to transfer 100+ gigabytes without issue. I didn’t see great instructions on the heat pads. There is just one side of adhesive correct? Do you think this will fix the issue? If it ends up not working are the pads easy to remove? Much appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am sorry this is not working as expected and I am happy to help!

Based on your description it does sound like the drive is overheating. The included thermal pads are adhesive backed and can be used to help transfer heat from the SSD to the aluminum enclosure. The thermal pads are adhesive backed they can be difficult to remove from SSDs with paper labels and may damage the label when removed. Please let me know if you would rather not risk damaging the paper label and we can go from there.

To use the thermal pads, simply peal off the adhesive backer and place the pads over the largest memory chips on the side of the SSD facing out of the enclosure then gently slide the aluminum cover back in place, it should be in contact with the thermal pads.

Please let me know if this helps, we have seen very few examples of drives that overheat while in this enclosure, would you mind letting me know the manufacturer name and model number of the NVMe SSD?

Thank you,

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com

Thank for the reply! The drive is an XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe. I placed the pads on it last night and that seems to have done the trick.

Hi,

That’s great to hear! Please do let us know if you have any additional questions, we are always happy to help!

I will go ahead and leave this thread open for a couple of days if you have any additional questions or concerns then mark the thread as closed.

Have a great day!

Pat
Plugable Technology
support@plugable.com