How do I set up the hub properly?

instructions for 7 port high performance HUB…Plugable USB2-HUB-AG7
-----no instructions with package!
Situation:
Here is what I have done, but I am not sure it is right (since there were no instructions with the device…):

1. connected hub and DC outlet with cable A.
  2. Mini USB plug on end of cable B plugged into hub; larger USB plug on cable B plugged into USB female socket on front of CPU.
  3. Running Windows XP. Apparently the drivers were automatically installed, according to a pop-up message.
  4. three lights on the hub: a red one, an always-on blue one, and a flickering blue one.
  5. The always-on blue light goes out if I disconnect the USB mouse. The red light remains on. The flickering blue light continues to flicker.

My questions:
where can I find simple connection instructions, since none came with the device?
is it normal for the red light to remain on?
Is it normal for the blue light associated with teh phone to flicker instead of remaining on?

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for posting your questions here! First of all let me assure you that you have setup the Plugable 7 Port Hub USB2-HUB-AG7 in the right way.

No driver is required (hub drivers are integrated into the operating system). At a high level, all generic hubs (like this one) are matched to the proper drivers in \windows\inf\usb.inf and the main driver loaded to control the hub is \windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys . Both of these are Microsoft-provided system files.

The Plugable 7 Port Hub USB2-HUB-AG7 has easy to diagnose connectivity: separate LEDs for hub power (red) and each attached USB device (blue).

The red LED is an indicator that the unit is getting power, either from the USB port on the system or from the AC Wall Power Adapter.

When the hub’s power adapter is not connected, the hub is capable of running purely from bus power (from the host PC). This takes power from one USB port and shares it with all the devices that are connected. This will likely not be enough for any high powered devices ( which require close to the max 500mA as per USB 2.0 specification). So we recommend always using the power adapter for best results.

When you plug in a device into the Plugable 7 Port Hub USB2-HUB-AG7 a blue LED lights up. For each port a blue LED is available which lights up when a device is plugged into the respective port. A steady blue LED shows that the device is connected to the upstream computer system.

The blinking blue LED is an indication that the device has connected with the upstream system but is trying to draw more power than 500mA which is the maximum power that a device can draw from a USB port as per USB 2.0 specification.

The blinking blue LED that you see when the phone is plugged into the Plugable 7 Port Hub USB2-HUB-AG7 indicates that it is not a standard USB 2.0 device (this is true of most phones) and is trying to pull more power.

Since the Plugable 7 Port Hub USB2-HUB-AG7 is a standard USB 2.0 Hub, it does not have special support for proprietary charging, beyond the 500mA rate which is standard for USB 2.0. So the phone will only charge at 500 mA although it requires higher power than USB 2.0 can provide.

Hope the above information helps! If you need any additional information feel free to post back here or shoot us an email at support@plugable.com. We are here to help!

Regards,
Roze

Thank you for a very prompt and complete response. It answers all of my questions (and even a few I hadn’t thought of yet!). Good job.

Andrew,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad that I was able to answer all your questions. :slight_smile:

Feel free to contact us if you need any help or information regarding any of our products, anytime.

Regards,
Roze