How do I get my USBC dock to support both 4K and 2K HDMI ports simultaneously?

I have the Triple Display USB-C docking station, plugged into a Dell Latitude 5580. I have an ASUS monitor and a ViewSonic monitor. I have multiple HDMI cords.

I have tried each monitor, with each cord, with the 4K HDMI port on the docking station with success. However, with any cord, I cannot get either monitor to connect on the 2K HDMI port. I have also tried DVI, on both monitors, with no success.

In all other functions, the dock seems to be working great. It’s feeding power back to the laptop. It’s connecting my USB keyboard and mouse. It’s successfully using gigabit. It’s even charging my Pixel. But, no function on the black video ports.

Help? I went out on a bit of a limb here, selling the idea that this dock could take care of all of our connectivity needs, and the most visible feature isn’t working for us. Yikes.

Having roughly the same issue with my MBP. Running two Samsung 2K monitors and the 4K port works off and on. When it does work the output is pretty poor.

Also, my audio through the 3.5M jack drops out every few minutes and comes back on if I switch the output on my machine.

Hello Craig and Taylor,

Thank you for contacting Plugable support! Sorry to hear about this issue. I’d be more than happy to assist you.

Craig: Since the 2K HDMI and DVI are not working, I suspect you might need to double check that you have the latest version of the DisplayLink drivers installed from our website: http://plugable.com/drivers/displaylink - if that doesn’t help we’ll want to get some more info from you.

Taylor: It sounds like your issue we need to focus on the USB-C to USB-C cable connecting the laptop and dock as well as your HDMI cable.

Are you using the included C cable or a third party one? Have you tried swapping HDMI cables around to see if that helps at all?

For the audio, that is a strange issue. Off the top of my head I’m not sure why this is occurring, does there seem to be any pattern to it?

Please don’t hesitate to let us know of other questions.

Thanks again for contacting Plugable support and best wishes!

Joshua Henry
Plugable Technologies

Josh -

I’m using the one that shipped with the unit, can you share the cable specs you’ve found to be minimal capability and I’d be happy to find an aftermarket one of greater quality to see if that fixes the issue. I also have the latest drivers installed. if that doesn’t work sounds like I may have received a faulty unit.

As for the audio, not really any rhyme or reason, it’s very odd. it will do it a few times an hour then sometimes not at all. Sometimes it fixes itself where others I need to switch to the Internal Output option then back to the Plugable Audio option and all works fine.

I’m doing low-intensity processes like Chrome, Outlook, and Spotify.

Josh,

Getting those latest drivers did in fact get my monitor (via the 2K port) working, so now it’s all good! I got HDMI coming out of both 4K and 2K! Woohoo!

Thanks for the help! Taylor, I wish you luck. Apple is famous for their almost-standards support of protocols they don’t own. :slight_smile:

Hello guys,

Taylor: Thanks for the info. Let’s continue this over email in case I need to get any purchase info from you if a replacement is required. Just reach out to us at support@plugable.com and link back to this thread for context.

Craig: Glad the driver worked out! If you ever need anything else just let me know.

Best,
Josh