Help with new docking station to laptop with 2 monitors

I just purchased a new HP Spectra x360 15in laptop. I also got a new plugable Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C Docking Station (dual display with 60w charging) - TBT3-UDC1.
I have 2 older ViewSonic monitors that I had been using on my old desktop. I am trying to hook up to use. I directly linked 1 display to the laptop and all was working. I then tried hooking through the Plugable dock and nothing. I have both of them hooked up with an HDMI cable to a Plugable DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter (DP-HDMI) and then plugged into the display ports on the dock.
Please Help me figure out what I need to do.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for posting!

Firstly, can you clarify if you are using the original Thunderbolt 3 cable that came with the Plugable TBT3-UDC1 docking station?

Next, if you keep the dock connected to your computer, then right-click on your Desktop and then choose Display settings, do you see the two external monitors recognized and labeled with a number (even though they do not display anything)?

Thanks for giving us a chance to help!

Mitchell

hello,
Yes, I am connected with the Thunderbolt 3 cable.

In Display setting it shows the big box labeled 1 (which would be my laptop screen. Then a little box labeled 2. nothing at all is coming up on the 2 monitors. Detect says (didn’t detect another display).

Thanks for getting back to me.

Based off your report, it sounds like one monitor is at least being recognized. If you click on the monitor labeled as “2”, you should be able to scroll down to the “Multiple displays” dropdown and select Extend desktop to this display. Does that restore at least one display?

Next, to better investigate further, I’d like to request some logs from your computer. Could you please keep the Plugable TBT3-UDC1 connected (with both monitors still connected to the dock), then navigate to our PlugDebug tool and follow the instructions there?

This will create a ZIP file on your Desktop containing system logs and information. Please send this ZIP file to us directly at support@plugable.com and include “Ticket #320621” in the subject line.

Thanks for your patience!

Mitchell

I clicked on “2” and tried to change multiple displays to Extend but got an error message that “The display settings could not e saved. Please try a different combination of display settings”.

I plugged in a wired keyboard to the dock (just to see if anything worked) and the keyboard works and the dock is powering the laptop.

I will work on the logs now.

Thanks for the details and logs.

I do see the ViewSonic VA2265 monitor being disabled in the logs. We’ve seen this issue before where we’re unable to have that display setting “stick”, so I’d like to proceed by re-installing the NVIDIA graphics driver to the version provided by HP, as it appears that you are on a newer version than what they provide: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-eb0000-x360-convertible-laptop-pc-series/32516320/model/34370376

To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the dock from your computer, then remove its power adapter. Right-click on the Windows logo on the bottom left-hand corner of the screen, then choose Device Manager
  2. Double-click on the Display adapters category to expand its items
  3. Right-click on the NVIDIA entry, then choose Uninstall device
  4. You may need to reboot your computer after doing this. Please reboot and proceed if prompted. Otherwise, please proceed
  5. Download and install the following NVIDIA graphics driver provided by HP for this computer and Windows version: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp104001-104500/sp104003.exe
  6. Reboot your computer, then reconnect the power adapter to the dock. Then, reconnect the dock to your computer and try to re-enable the disabled display in your Windows Display settings

Please let me know if this helps at all with restoring at least one display, and we’ll move forward from there.

Thank you!

Mitchell

Woohoo! 1 one of the monitors popped right up !!

worked on the display settings and got the 2nd monitor up and running too !!!

Thank you so much !!!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Great to hear that! Thanks for letting me know that both monitors have been restored as a result of re-installing that graphics driver provided by HP, and of course you’re welcome for the help.

I’ll be closing this thread, but feel free to open up a new topic or reach out to us at support@plugable.com if you have any other questions. We’re glad to assist.

Best wishes,

Mitchell