Help with Dual Monitor Setup!

I just got the super-speed dual monitor docking station. I’ve tried setting up so I don’t have to use the laptop screen as a usable screen (ie turning one of my monitors into monitor 1 and the other into monitor 2). Is this possible with this?

I have a VGA Monitor Y splitter and I have everything plugged in. I’ve tried several times and several ways to do this. Any tips?

Hi James,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, I would be happy to assist!

Based on your description, it sounds as if you would like to disable the laptop monitor screen, then set 1 of the external displays as the main monitor or desktop, and then extend to the second external display.

In order to disable the laptop monitor, you will need to open display settings, and then there is a label that says “Multiple Displays” with a drop down box, with the laptop monitor selected, change this drop down box from extended to “Disconnect this display”

In order to have 1 of the external displays connected as “Main” and the other as an extension of the main monitor, you cannot use a Y splitter, as this will only allow you to mirror the displays, and not have them set as two distinct displays.

I hope this information helps, let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you for your patience,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support

Thanks! This is helpful. So, if I don’t use the Y splitter, how do I make this happen?

I think I may have figured it out. I got a VGA to HDMI adapter for the other monitor. Good idea? Bad idea? We’ll see idea?

It worked! Thanks!

Hi James,

I am sorry for the late responses, I have been having issues getting automated emails through GetSatisfaction to let me know that you have responded! I am glad that you were able to find a passive VGA to HDMI adapter, which allows you to connect your displays. It is fantastic that everything is working!

Don’t hesitate to reach out in the future if you have any additional questions or concerns, you can email us directly at support@plugable.com.

Thank you for your time,
Marc
Product Owner & Technical Support
www.plugable.com/support